Richelieu Foods • Elk Grove Village , IL
The R&D Food Scientist provides technical expertise and contributes to the creation, maintenance and review of formulas for new and existing products. Reporting to the R&D Manager, this individual is an active participant of new product ideation beginning at concept through successful commercialization. This position participates and routinely leads on project teams and conducts technical work within guidelines of project scope, budget and timelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create new prototypes for R&D initiatives, including formulation and ingredient sourcing.
- Function as the primary contact with designated customers to deliver new products that meet customer needs in a cost-effective manner and with formulations that can be processed in the existing operation.
- Help coordinate and direct activities of technician(s) and junior product developers, with the team technician as a direct report.
- Lead special projects or tasks (example: equipment validation, raw material replacement)
- Coordinate and assist Production in new product trials and initial start-up runs.
- Accurately record, analyze and report data to meet project and customer objectives.
- Coordinate 3rd party laboratory testing and reports results.
- Evaluate new and existing manufacturing processes for optimizing efficiency and cost.
- Provide technical support to Production, Quality Assurance, Purchasing, and Sales as required.
- Create, update and maintain exact records of all product development formulas and processes.
- Maintain/update MRP system formulations and product specification files.
- Identify new ingredients or packaging supplies for potential cost savings
- Build and maintain working relationships with Sales Representatives, Brokers, and vendors.
- Assist Purchasing in sourcing new raw materials and packaging supplies.
- Provide feedback on potential food safety or quality concerns.
- Prepare and ship sales samples as requested.
- Adhere to GMPs, Standard Operating Procedures, and Safety Regulations consistently.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent understanding of quality control and quality assurance methods and standards
- Excellent problem solving, data collection and analysis skills
- Demonstrated sense of urgency and sound judgment in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Software and Tools
EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE:
- 4 year degree in Food Science or related is required.
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a food processing or new product development role.
- Salad dressing and / or emulsified product production experience preferred.
Richelieu Foods, Inc., a Freiberger Group Company, is a leading supplier of high quality food products to the private label a and food service industries. The company has locations across the Midwest with five manufacturing centers that produce frozen & deli pizza, salad dressings, BBQ sauces, & other specialty sauces.
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package and a 401K with company match