Job Overview: This role leads, trains, and works with a team to safely and efficiently oversee the welfare, care and day-to-day management of animals in their farm. The position insures good production through the implementation of standard operating procedures, maintenance of accurate records, promotion of the well-being of animals, and sound environmental stewardship. In their absence, this role performs the Farm Manager duties on a short-term basis.
Job Duties & Accountabilities
- Ensure daily care promotes humane animal handling, including the safeguard of animal health, providing access to water and feed, and the best possible environment.
- Monitor the health of all animals, ensure proper vaccinations, medications, and injections are given and documented as needed to promote animal well-being, achieve regulatory compliance, increase production and communicate all animal well-being issues and/or concerns to the Farm Manager.
- Promote safe work habits, maintain a safe working environment and report all work related injuries within 24 hours of occurrence to the Farm Manager.
- Keep and maintain accurate production records.
- Assist the Farm Manager in the training of team members’ production and interpersonal skills through open and honest informal daily feedback, and daily organization of their activities.
- Organize and participate in the daily production activities of their departments including implementation, follow up, and review of the execution of standard operating procedures.
- Communicate department needs to the Farm Manager such as feed, supplies, maintenance, personnel issues, etc.
- Perform minor maintenance and repairs on buildings and equipment, as well as, housekeeping responsibilities of the facility and communicate to Farm Manager of necessary repairs or maintenance needed.
- Implement best management practices for environmental stewardship including the proper regulation of manure storage facility (pit) levels and the flushing time and recharge of manure handling systems within the barns
- High School diploma or GED
- 1 year experience in the swine industry and/or 1 years of leadership experience in any field.
- Agriculture industry preferred
- Company policies and procedures
- Standard Operating Procedures of the system (thorough understanding)
- Proper pig terminology and livestock handling (advanced)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook) and basic understanding of computers is preferred
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Organizational and Leadership skills
- Training and development of team members on standard operating procedures
- Work independently, as well as being a team player
- Effectively monitor and develop subordinates to insure smooth operation of the farm
- Maintain confidentiality
- Desire to learn new skills
- Use production records to facilitate improvements