Come Build Your Career Under OUR Roof
Do you aspire to be an R&D professional in a world class organization that makes a difference in people's lives every day? Do you enjoy building things, travel, and being analytical? Our Research & Development team is willing to train you in a role that will lay the groundwork for an incredibly rewarding career in manufacturing and product development.
Research & Technical Development Lab Technician (R&D Engineering)
What you'll do:
The Research and Technical Development (RTD) Lab Technician will be primarily responsible for research and technical support of roofing and waterproofing systems and components. This includes constructing mock roofing models, evaluation, application, and physical testing of products as well as data collection and reporting of results.
This position will report to the Associate Manager Compliance & QC.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for all candidates and employees in this position. Proof of vaccination is required. Should you require accommodation for medical or religious needs, GAF will engage in an interactive process with you to determine if a reasonable accommodation can be provided in accordance with applicable state and federal law.
Construction and Product Application (for research & testing):
- Construct product development research and testing platforms, including roofing decks, membranes, asphalt blends, insulating substrates, concrete mixes, Pro products, and application equipment.
- For testing purposes, apply products utilizing Siplast application techniques and related equipment.
- Assist with Codes system building for wind uplift, fire, and other compliance testing at third-party laboratories.
Testing and Analysis:
- Document testing or analysis for projects assigned by the supervisor in the form of written reports and/or in a laboratory notebook.
- Physical, mechanical, structural, and chemical analyses of materials and products, including, but not limited to; wind uplift testing, compression strength, etc. utilizing stress/strain equipment, viscometer, microscopy, etc.
Plant Tours and Roofing School:
- Assist in the preparation and clean-up of the Systems Testing Lab and Roofing School for all plant tours.
- Prepare mock-ups/samples for roofing school.
- Assist/perform demonstrations on the day of the plant tours.
- Assist trainers as needed.
Maintenance and Housekeeping:
- General maintenance and upkeep of all equipment utilized in the Wind Lab and Application Training Center, including the lab truck, LWC pump and accessories, asphalt kettles, adhesive pump and accessories, and all tools and equipment.
- Ensure all lab equipment, tools, etc. are clean, safe, and in operable conditionContinuously work to improve the organization of tools, equipment, and materials stored in Wind Lab and Application Training Center.
- Clean, organize and maintain all assigned working areas.
- Adhere to all safety guidelines, policies, and regulations
- Participate in various team meetings as needed.
- Duties as assigned by management
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- Must have (and maintain) a valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record
- Ability to travel as necessary (20% or more per year)
- BS Engineering degree, any discipline
- Building/Construction experience - hobby or professionally
- 3+ years of experience with practical application and/or manufacturing experience with roofing or building materials and related equipment
- Knowledge of building codes a plus
- General knowledge of roofing systems and practices
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Ability to operate all tools, laboratory, and application equipment
- Good knowledge of manufacturing and laboratory practices
- Hands-on testing skills with physical, mechanical, and analytical methods
- Proficient with necessary computer software, i.e., MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).G Suite experience a plus
- Good reporting skills (written, oral and graphical)
- Competent math skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Capable of taking a complete project from start to finish with little or no supervision
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude to promote good relations in a team environment
- Good literature/file researching practices
SECTION V: PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to climb ladders, work with heights, and demonstrate roof applications
Visual acuity to inspect products, read documents, computer screens, and file
Ability to hear and speak on the phone
Ability to bend, pull, and reach to perform position functions
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. (roofing products, etc.) on an occasional basis
Manual dexterity to perform data entry, filing, product inspections, and position-related functions
#ZRH2We believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k, and vacation packages for all full time permanent positions. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and GAF, Hawk, SGI, and Siplast are proud to be affirmative action employers. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. If applying for positions in the U.S., must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).