Develops and implements Quality Management System improvements and design/process enhancements to meet internal goals and satisfy external customers. Works under the guidance of the Quality Site Lead, Quality Manager, or Director of Quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the development and launch of new products through effective and proactive product quality planning.
- Assist Value Stream managers and manufacturing operations to quickly and permanently resolve quality issues as they arise.
- Take a lead role in completing preventive and corrective actions, for both internal and external customer issues, using effective engineering judgment and appropriate root cause analysis tools.
- Confirm whether the implementation of preventive and corrective action is effective and sustained.
- Plan, oversee and analyze process capability studies and gage repeatability & reproducibility (GR&R) studies.
- Represent the interests of the Customer on the Material Review Board by reviewing nonconforming parts and proposed dispositions.
- Create and implement control plans that are risk-based, robust and effective in all phases of production.
- Perform internal Management System and process audits.
- Evaluate the capability and performance of new and existing suppliers through on-site audits and assessments.
- Interface with customers and suppliers on quality issues. Coordinate containment and improvement actions to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Review engineering specifications, drawings and work instructions, for fulfillment of customer requirements.
- Supervise Quality Technicians and/or Quality Inspectors, as assigned.
- Determine work responsibilities, performance goals and training needs for subordinates.
- Assign work tasks to subordinates and follow-up on results, as necessary.
- Provide performance feedback to subordinates and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Represent the Quality Team as a point of contact for daily operational support.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering field or 10 years of applicable experience is preferred.
- ASQ Quality Engineer certification (CQE) is preferred
- Other certifications, such as ASQ Quality Manager (CMQ/OE), Lean, lead auditor (ISO 9001, TS 16949, 14001, etc.), Six Sigma Black/Green Belt, etc. are desired.
- Manufacturing or industrial environment work experience is required.
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) is required.
- Experience with Material Review Board (MRB) processes is preferred.
- Lean methodology/tools such as mistake-proofing (poke-yoke), value stream mapping (VSM), and Kaizen is preferred.
- Process-based Management System audits (ISO 9001, 14001, TS 16949, etc.) is required.
- Implementation and evaluation of process controls is required.
- Development and maintenance of production Control Plans is preferred.
- Knowledge of basic gage calibration practices is preferred.
- Selection and analysis of statistical methods (SPC, ANOVA, hypothesis testing, etc.) is preferred.
- Application of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) methods is preferred.
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) is preferred.
- Development and analysis of Design of Experiments (DOE) is preferred.
- Design and analysis of Gage Repeatability& Reproducibility (Gage R&R) studies is preferred.
- Six Sigma or TQM methods/tools is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively and independently in a fast-paced and demanding environment with a strong sense of urgency is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively using the English language, both written and verbal, is required.
- Ability to interface with customers and suppliers individually and within a team to resolve issues and strengthen relationships is required.
- Ability to observe situations with a high degree of detail/complexity and make appropriate decisions is required.
- Ability to simplify and solve complex problems, both alone and within a team environment, with a high level of creativity is required.
- Ability to reliably report status, performance and results is required.
- Ability to plan and organize projects is required.
- Ability to interpret and understand complex engineering drawings and flow charts is required.
- Ability to plan, conduct and analyze statistical experiments and studies is required.
- Ability to use basic measurement instruments such as a micrometer, caliper, etc. is required.
- Intermediate level knowledge of MS Word and Excel (charts/graphs, basic formulas, filter/sort, conditional format) required.
- Advanced level knowledge of MS Excel (pivot table, advanced formulas, VBA) is preferred.
- Basic level knowledge of MS Visio and Access (data entry, running reports/queries) is preferred.
- Basic level knowledge of Minitab, or similar statistical analysis software, is required.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for up to 8 hours or more per day is required.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 lbs. on a limited basis, up to 40 lbs. occasionally is required.
- Ability to work with both hands and both feet on a regular basis is required.
- Travel up to 10% of the time within the US and internationally.
- Have the flexibility to adjust work hours and schedule to support internal and external customer needs.
- Professional organization involvement is desired, such as American Society for Quality (ASQ), Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME), Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), Association for Operations Management (APICS), Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), or other similar.