This position description identifies the major responsibilities of this job. It does not include all aspects of the position such as the potential additional duties assigned by supervisors and the requirement for flexibility in helping others for the company's overall benefit.
The Quality Engineer position develops and implements optimal, cost-effective quality processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards. This position is also responsible for analyzing manufacturing processes for improvement using various methods of testing and inspection.
- Develop, apply and maintain quality systems, requirements, and standards for development and manufacturing products as well as data collection techniques and systems.
- Develop corrective action form and process using the DMAIC method to identify root cause issue and determine the appropriate action.
- Manufacturing process instructions (standardized work) and inspection verification sheets.
- Responsible for first article of inspection on new parts to ensure supplier quality is being met.
- Participate in NPD process. Establish key quality deliverables with each development cycle and launch.
- Serve as the primary quality assurance resource to department supervisor(s) for problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvement.
- Support concurrent engineering efforts by participating in design development projects representing quality assurance and the customer.
- Design and implement methods for process control, process improvement, testing and inspection.
- Promote and execute quality standards, inspection processes, test methodology, quality plans, documents and reports.
- Lead teams in technical process development, documentation, and certification.
- Develop supplier quality requirements for inspection, detection, prevention, and certification.
- Develop, execute and analyze quality-reporting measures.
- Report to management on quality issues, trends, and improvement opportunities.
- Develop system, process, and training for and lead internal and external quality audits.
- Compile, write and deliver training material on quality standards and activities.
- Technical Capacity.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Decision Making.
- Results Driven.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical, or Manufacturing engineering (or STEM degree such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry with Quality experience.
- An Associate of Science degree in these fields plus minimum 4 years of industrial experience is equivalent, AS degree, or alternate degree plus ASQ Certification as CSQE, CSSBB, CSQP, CRE certification is equivalent).
- Minimum of 3 years of manufacturing quality experience.
- Training in general safety, heavy and assembly manufacturing processes, foreign object, ISO structure, statistical analysis, and quality system awareness.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities. Ability to train and influence is essential.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to welding, fumes or airborne particles, overhead cranes, mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment requires hearing protection.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.