The Plant Manager will manage 3 to 10 direct reports overseeing a staff of 75 to 100. Develop and lead the operational plan of manufacturing plant in line with the manufacturing strategic plan, including key performance metrics. Adhering to all safety, regulatory and quality requirements.
o Reviews and oversees implementation of annual operating plan for plant. These include staffing; raw material, procurement, production and inventory planning, in conjunction with materials planning and procurement groups.
o Recommends capital projects. (Annual capital plan of $1 to $ 5 million.)
o Reviews and signs off on annual financial operating budget. (Annual budget of $15 to $25 million.)
o Participates in strategic planning process, translating manufacturing objectives to individual goals for key plant teammates.
o Builds and leads a team to execute the operational and financial plans, including department managers as well as staff to support plant.
o Leads plant-wide initiatives to ensure positive teammate morale. Communicates vision, direction of company and manufacturing to all teammates.
o Leads Plant Continuous Improvement efforts (Lean etc.) – focused on Cost Reduction, Capacity improvement etc. Using CI to develop an empowered and capable workforce.
o Conducts performance evaluation of direct reports, while reviewing and signing off on one-over-one teammate, directing all to expand their skills and responsibilities.
o Modifies and approves all goals of direct reports.
o Hires, promotes and fires plant personnel based on opportunities and performance.
o Leads training initiatives for plant teammates, working with staff and corporate support.
o Reviews and reports on plant financial performance on a monthly basis.
o Leads action plan to address plant issues.
o Approves expenditures for all capital projects for the plants.
o Approves all plant expenditures in accordance with approval policy.
o Drives culture of alignment to Oil-Dri’s safety, environmental and quality policies.
o Works with SHEQ director to lead quality initiatives, in line with strategic plan.
o Aligns Plant Quality improvement efforts with Consumer/Customer relevant Quality failures
o Ensures that safety procedures are in place to address all aspects of plant safety.
o Ensures that all personnel on the premises (visitors as well as teammates) understand and follow all safety procedures.
o Leads organization in addressing both Condition and Behavior based Safety concerns
o Assures that the plants are fully compliant with all local, state and federal regulations with respect to environmental compliance. This pertains to all operational aspects as well as capital expansions.
o Works with SHEQ team to get this done. Reports any variation immediately to Regional Manufacturing Manager, VP of Manufacturing and SHEQ director.
o Reviews plant capacity capabilities used in capacity planning, as well as forecast business requirements. Assures that any circumstances where planned customer requirements of operational plan cannot be fulfilled over the long term (1 to 6 months) are communicated to S&OP team.
o Coordinates review of plant processes (between engineering and plant management) and assures process modifications or improvements that result in improved efficiency are implemented.
o Works with Material Planning and Logistics to recommend business shifts between plants or regions in order to optimize service and cost to customers. Assures recommendations are implemented.
o Delivers Plant efficiency improvements (% TEEP) in both Processing and Packaging, along with Direct Labor reductions in key areas
o Leads organizational and cultural change to transform Maintenance approach to a Preventive/Predicative approach
o Directs housekeeping program.
o Approves expenditure of all maintenance costs in line with expense approval policy.
• Raw Material Procurement (Externally, raw materials may mean supplies of all types, whereas here we are specifically referring to mining)
o Approves mining and reclamation plan. Ensures that it is adhered to.
o Assures that communication occurs to VP of Global Infrastructure on any production shortfalls or regulatory concerns associated with clay mining.
o Assists Marketing, Logistics, and Research on evaluating new business opportunities, including assessing process feasibility, cost, capital requirements and other issues.
o Meets with management in other areas of the company. Shares and adopts best practices.
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical or scientific discipline required.
• Minimum 15 years manufacturing experience.
• Minimum 5 years managerial experience with responsibility over multiple functional areas.
• JDE or other large ERP software experience preferred.
• Knowledge of industrial processing required. Plusses include industrial mineral experience as well as mining and clay mineralogy.
• Knowledge or automated packaging equipment, Lean, and Preventative Maintenance systems preferred
• Strong commitment to workplace safety and company values
• Strong ability to lead and develop people and teams.
• Strategic thinking, with the ability to translate strategy into executable tactical plans.
• Solid understanding of manufacturing processes and application of products manufactured at this site.
• Familiarity with quality principles and tools.
• Team player fully capable of working with different functions in the best interest of the overall team.
• Ability to work independently without direct oversight.