Diagnose, adjust, repair, or perform preventative maintenance on trucks and trailers and all types of diesel engines.
Key benefits for full-time BWI employees include 401(k) with generous company match, excellent health, dental & vision care plan options, flexible spending account and health savings account options, life and disability insurance and 8 company holidays.
As a privately held company, BWI has over 60 years of successful sales growth and profitability. As an integral part of the BWI team and key link to our customers, you will be growing with the industry leader in wholesale distribution of lawn & garden products. Come join our team!
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Use hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
- Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other important parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition.
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery.
- Adjust and replace brakes, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment.
- Perform routine repairs and inspections on tires, including mounting and dismounting tires for replacement or repair. Be accountable for tire rotation on power units as well as overall tire inventory.
- Raise trucks, trailers, and heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Test drive trucks to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test instruments such as handheld computers, motor analyzers, chassis charts, and pressure gauges.
- Examine and adjust protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices.
- Inspect and verify dimensions and clearances of parts to ensure conformance to factory specifications.
- Attach test instruments to equipment, and read dials and gauges to diagnose malfunctions
- Rewire ignition systems, lights, and instrument panels.
- Repair and adjust seats, doors, and windows, and install and repair accessories.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain automotive and mechanical equipment and machinery such as pumps and compressors.
- Be familiar with and comply with DOT and BWI Vehicle Maintenance Guidelines.
- Building Maintenance including A/C Filter changes, warehouse PIT equipment maintenance, any other maintenance items as needed.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Technical Aptitude - Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
SKILLS & ABILITIES Education:
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) Experience:
One to two years related experience Other Requirements: