At Savage, we pride ourselves on providing our Mechanics with the latest equipment and a focus on safety not typically seen in any industry. We also provide top-notch safety training and procedures to ensure that you make it home every night to your loved ones. Hire Right, Train Right, Treat Right…it’s the Savage way.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage:
- Opportunities for growth
- M-F Work Schedule
- $150 annual steel toe boot allowance
- Uniforms provided with laundry service
- Paid Parental Leave
- A culture that appreciates our Team Members
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match, Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays
- Profit Sharing
The Locomotive mechanic will primarily conduct locomotive mechanical and electrical maintenance, repairs and troubleshooting ensuring that the rail equipment needs is supported and maintenance work is completed timely, efficiently and safely. The mechanic will also work with and train a helper as part of his duties.
Responsibilities / Job Duties:
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations.
- Responsible for overall locomotive maintenance
- Inspect, maintain, troubleshoot and repair malfunctions in diesel engines, air brake equipment, electrical equipment, running gear or locomotive components.
- Ability to weld and use a cutting torch to repair or modify locomotive equipment.
- Familiar with and ability to perform periodic inspections.
- Ability to interpret oil sample results.
- Conduct daily inspections and locomotive servicing.
- Required to be on call to meet operational needs.
- Assist with operational maintenance as needed.
- Preferably 10 years’ experience maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing EMD locomotives.
- Be familiar on EMD 90 and 190 manuals and will develop relationships with material vendors to ensure required materials are on hand for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.
- Ability to problem solve and is very familiar with Locomotive maintenance.
- Ability to read electrical schematics and troubleshoot low and high voltage AC/DC circuits
- The successful candidate will have a value system that matches up with the culture that we embrace
- The ability to work under adverse weather conditions and understanding that there is a requirement to be on call for mechanical/electrical emergencies on a 24/7 basis.
- Rail industry experience is a must
- Minimum of High School diploma/GED
The Mechanic will be on his/her feet for extended period of time and walk long distances throughout the day. Navigating facilities will include, but is not limited to, exposure to harsh weather conditions, uneven ground, ladders, racks and other high places, ground that can be slick, icy or uneven, and other industrial hazards. Potential work sites include industrial rail facilities, remote rail lines, and will require someone who can work safely around this type of environment, as well as ensure compliance to strict TC/ FRA regulations. Ability to lift and maneuver components up to 50 pounds.