Bernhard’s core mission is delivering innovative engineering, construction, and energy solutions that empower our clients and promote a sustainable future. Bernhard is comprised of four divisions: Mechanical, Electrical, Engineering and Development, each with a distinct identity and service offerings. The intersection of our capabilities enables Bernhard to provide turnkey Energy-as-a-Service (“EaaS”) solutions to our clients. At the same time, our divisions continue working in the market sectors and communities that the Company has traditionally served. Bernhard’s vision is to be the leading EaaS provider in North America through delivery of excellent, high value service and innovative solutions for our clients.
Purpose and Essential Duties
The Controls Specialist is responsible for the setup of building automation control systems including creating custom programming, graphics, and trends. A Controls Specialist will frequently interact with clients, contractors, and engineers to fulfill the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
This position is Full Time, Non-Exempt, and reports to a Director.
The Senior Controls Specialist’s essential duties and responsibilities may include the following:
- Assess existing building automation systems to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Develop basic sequence of operations to improve energy efficiency of building HVAC equipment.
- Create Room Ventilation Schedules based on applicable code requirements.
- Program and implement new sequence of operations.
- Troubleshoot and identify failed equipment and present proposals of correct action.
- Design and Pre-Construction
- Conduct field survey to identify existing equipment types and building automation system capabilities.
- Provide feedback to the design team on design alternatives and best equipment choices.
- Provide feedback on design pricing decisions.
- Develop controls submittal packages including parts lists.
- Provide onsite management of work direction of controls and low voltage subcontractors.
- Complete start-up of control systems including setting up trends, graphics, and programming.
- Program basic sequence of operations of critical infrastructure.
- Ensure pre-functional checklists have been completed.
- Troubleshoot control installation problem.
- Assist with the commissioning process as required.
- Uphold Bernhard’s owner advocacy philosophy, mission, and core values.
- Perform the assigned duties with minimal supervision, while working in a team problem-solving environment.
- Assist with the development of technical reports or related documents.
- Other duties as assigned or required
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications
- 4+ years of control experience
- Experience with JCI, Siemens, Honeywell, Trane, Tridium, Schneider, or other building automation systems.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Considerable knowledge of commercial HVAC systems.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Healthcare or Higher Education project experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Work, Excel, PowerPoint.
Travel will be required and is dependent on project location and needs. The travel commitment is estimated to be as high as 50% of regular work schedule per month. Generally, travel is during the work week and not expected over weekends.
Physical/Work Environment Requirements
- The work environment will be a combination of an office environment and site survey environment.
- Site surveys will include exposure to external weather, loud noises, and poorly accessible spaces.
- Ability to survey confined spaces within a facility to gather necessary information on building equipment.
- The use of ladders to survey equipment above ceiling is required periodically.
Bernhard is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities, and participate in the e-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
To staffing/placement agencies: We are not responsible for any fee related to unsolicited resumes from 3rd party staffing and placement agencies (whether submitted through this website or sent directly to an employee of Bernhard LLC or its operating companies) unless a written agreement is in place between the agency and Bernhard, LLC (“Company”) and an authorized Company representative makes a written request to the agency to assist with a requisition. Similarly, no fee will be paid for candidates who apply and claim to be represented by an agency. Any unsolicited resumes, CVs, or other candidate information submitted by an agency will become the property of Company, and no fee will be paid in the event such candidate is hired.
If you are an agency and would like to be considered for partnership with Bernhard, LLC please send your company’s information to [email protected]