$3K sign-on bonus offered for new employees in this position.
Arcosa Specialty Materials is searching for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic for our Carson City, NV plant. In this role you will support a positive safety culture within an open pit mining operation that is regulated by MSHA safety standards. As a Heavy Equipment Mechanic, you will perform maintenance on all types of mining equipment.
Arcosa Specialty Materials is a leading producer and distributor in the Western and Southwestern U.S. of lightweight and natural aggregates, including expanded shale and clay, crushed stone, sand and gravel, asphalt rock, and other products.
What You'll Do:
• Locate sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments.
• Assist operators with preventative and predictive maintenance of equipment by inspecting and testing electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic components.
• Control downtime by informing operators of daily preventive maintenance techniques; monitoring compliance.
• Keep accurate and detailed records of equipment failures and repairs.
• Some welding, perform minor body work.
• Observe all operation policies and procedures;
• Report potentially unsafe conditions.
• Ensure that safety, health and environmental legal and company standards are complied with, emphasizing safety as a top priority.
• Purchase and pick up parts.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by management.
• Attend scheduled departmental and safety meetings.
• Comply with strict safety procedures, following all MSHA guidelines.
• Actively promote and observe safety and security procedures and use equipment and materials properly.
• Demonstrate initiative, accuracy and thoroughness.
• Demonstrate aptitude to acquire additional skills.
• Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees.
• Actively helps and trains others.
What You'll Need:
• Prompt, regular, and predictable attendance.
• The ability to stand, stoop, bend, lift, walk, climb stairs, ladders, and catwalks up to 60 feet as required and lift weights up to 60 pounds.
• At least 5+ years diesel mechanic experience, preferably heavy equipment mechanics in construction or mining environment.
• Proficient skills in General Maintenance, Lubrication, Welding, Hydraulics, Drive Trains and Diagnostics.
• The ability to work in a varied outdoor environment (cold, hot, dry, dusty, rainy).
• Ability to set priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities.
• Problem solving skills; exercises good judgment in determining best method and procedure to be followed.
• Willingness and ability to work overtime hours.
• Good communication skills and ability to follow directions.
• Welding experience.
• MSHA certification (we will train).
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as manuals and labels. Ability to fill out all paperwork associated with job.
• Other duties as assigned
• Regularly sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing.
• Frequent use of hands and arms. Requires ability to lift, carry, push or pull medium weights, up to 75lbs.
• Occasional bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching, ascending and descending stairs or ladders.
• This job is performed in the open pit mine and crushing plant in a mining and production environment.
• While performing job duties there is regular exposure to moderate to loud noise levels, fine dust, vibration and moving mechanical parts.