The Health & Safety Specialist will be responsible for executing company policies and ensure compliance to all applicable local and regional safety regulations. This position will lead initiatives to reduce risk in our processes and behaviors to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for our employees. A successful Health & Safety Specialist will demonstrate the ability to build trust and confidence with the plant leadership team and inspire change through providing comprehensive risk assessments and data analysis.
The Health & Safety Specialist must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. This position will instruct and train plant leadership in safety policies and assist the plant teams in incorporating our standards at their site. This position will work to identify best practices and incorporate these standard methodologies into our standards to continuously improve the landscape. The Health & Safety Specialist will possess excellent program knowledge as well as environmental and safety knowledge and be able demonstrate this expertise when working with Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support the Plant Manager and plant leadership in developing and maintaining a Safety Always culture.
- Proactively assess risk and ensure corrective and preventative actions are taken.
- Ensure appropriate response and communications to employees with safety concerns and suggestions.
- Provide guidance and oversight to ensure compliance to all applicable Amy’s Safety Policies.
- Direct the general safety programs to ensure a safe environment, comply with corporate safety and program standards, and drive down the injury rates and workers compensation costs.
- Lead direct reports to drive engagement in a manner consistent with our core values.
- Analyze safety metrics and review weekly and monthly incidents to discover trends and lead appropriate actions.
- Ensure plant leadership and employees are trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities as they relate to safety. Audit the quality, delivery and effectiveness of all required safety training.
- Assesses risk potential of hazards for each job performance.
- Respond and provide assistance to all emergency situations.
- Complete and submit all required EHS reports.
- Manage the incident investigation program and provide direction and support to plant management. Ensure all corrective actions are followed through.
- Work to ensure everyone is actively engaged in performing their work in a safe manner, interacting with co-workers to prevent at-risk behaviors, and coaching operations line supervisors to be effective Health and Safety leaders in their respective positions.
- Provides oversight and guidance on all security matters for the facility.
- Responsible for fire prevention program.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to uphold the mission of the Amy’s Food Safety and Quality Policy. This includes following all Food Safety and Sustainability programs and participating in all required training.
- Possess a thorough understanding of local/regional regulations and company safety policies.
- Strong passion for the well-being of employees
- Leadership skills, including influencing others without authority
- Analytical Thinking (logical, investigative, questioning process)
- Self-motivated (action oriented, determination, result oriented)
- Accessible (open mind, approachable, service orientation)
- Business Expertise (Understanding of the fundamental aspects of our business)
- Collaboration & Communication Skills (Interpersonal savvy, presentation skills, written communication, motivating others, conflict management, comfort around higher management)
- Decision Maker (ability to make decisions in a timely fashion)
- Stress Tolerability (Ability to work under pressure)
- Learning Agility (Ability to grasp and apply new concepts and information in a fast- paced environment)
- Practical Savvy (Comfortable working with and around new technologies, common sense)
- Preferred Fluent in Spanish
- Strong Vendor Management Skills
Qualifications and Skills
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) in a scientific discipline or EHS related field from a four-year College or University; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelors’ Degree in a scientific discipline or EHS related field, or equivalent.
- Professional EHS certifications is preferred (CIH, CSP, CEM, CHMM, PE).
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in Safety and Health role is required, along with a thorough knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations.
- Experience with state specific regulations (California, Oregon or Idaho) preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Preferred ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TRAVEL: Periodic travel to other Amy’s locations