Dakota Supply Group (DSG) is seeking a General Manager for our North Dakota region. In this full time, exempt position, work is typically performed during standard business hours, Monday through Friday, but will vary on occasion according to business needs. As a General Manager, you will be an integral member of the leadership team and provide direct leadership to all aspects of the distribution business for all DSG locations in North Dakota. As a leader, you will be tasked with the mentoring, inspiring, and coaching of employee owners at multiple levels within the organization. The General Manager is also responsible for acquisition and business integration strategies and execution.
We eagerly await your application if you excel in the analysis of broad and complex issues and the formulation of executable strategies in order to ensure that we are delivering to our customers in the most efficient and effective manner. Residence in North Dakota, near one of DSG's branches (Williston, Dickinson, Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, or Minot), is required.
DSG is a people-centric, customer-obsessed, and growth-focused wholesale distributor. With over 130,000 (and growing!) products, not only are we one of the most diversified suppliers in the upper Midwest, we also have expertise in electrical, HVAC, plumbing, waterworks, utility, communications, and more! We have fun, we are friendly, and we embody a culture that genuinely cares for people far beyond their job title. Our purpose is to serve fellow employee owners, our partners, and communities toward building a better America, one job at a time. We are proud to be 100% employee owned, with an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) that gives our employee owners a unique opportunity to build their personal wealth in addition to a traditional retirement plan.
A Typical Day in the Life of a General Manager at DSG:
- Assume responsibility for attainment of financial goals as established by the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and approved by the Board of Directors
- Participate in corporate strategic planning and complete satisfactory progress on corporate strategic goals and objectives
- Implement corporate directed programs, including marketing, sales, purchasing, distribution, operations, accounting and finance, safety, education and employee resources
- High involvement in the strategic planning and execution of initiatives to enhance profitability, productivity, and efficiency throughout the region’s branch locations
- Leverage best practices within the region and across the organization
- Assume primary responsibility for efficient, cost-effective operations across all facilities within the region
- Review financial and operating reports; monitor all departments and locations on a regular basis
- Assist Corporate Credit staff with collection of customer accounts
- Approve wage, bonus, and commission schedules in line with corporate guidelines and budget constraints
- Approve, within budgetary and corporate guidelines, expenditures for capital equipment
- Manage the overall activities of the region, overseeing work accomplished by Branch Managers, Regional Sales Manager(s) and Regional Operations Manager; ensures work is consistent with corporate policies and objectives
- Ensure inventory management is consistent with sales, cash flow and financial goals
- Oversee sales, delivery, distribution, pricing, accounting and customer service
- Serve as the principal public relations spokesperson for the region
- Conduct regular staff meetings
- Interact with customers and vendors, maintaining and developing relationships
- Stay abreast of industry trends; attends trade shows, conventions and seminars as appropriate or as directed
- Implement improved processes and management methods to generate higher ROI and workflow optimization, within individual warehouses and across multiple warehouses
- Interact regularly with the executive team and individual department heads to ensure that the region’s priorities are aligned with overall company direction
- Take responsibility for budgeting, analysis, and reporting to the executive leadership team to evaluate operating results in terms of cost, budget, operating policies, trends, increased profit (or decreased expense) opportunities
- Foster a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices, customer focus, and service while driving individual accountability and integrity
- Analyze current and future trends in the distribution industry and accurately assesses functional responsibilities, competitive strengths, and vulnerabilities to maintain a competitive position within the industry
- Create and manage department structure, operating standards, and practices that are responsive and adaptable to evolving needs from both our internal and external customers
- Manage employee performance by establishing clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring timely feedback, and addressing performance challenges in a prompt and professional manner
- Lead the continuous improvement of the customer experience through programs and initiatives to reduce errors, provide on-time delivery, and exceed customer quality expectations.
- All other duties as assigned
A Successful General Manager typically has:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Distribution Management or related equivalent field experience.
- 7-10 years’ experience providing distribution leadership; managing complex business situations; operations; product knowledge; finance.
- Strong business knowledge and experience with the ability to provide reports and analysis of financial and operational position to forecast, develop and implement strategic plans within the context of the larger picture.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of management, financial analysis, project management, and personnel management.
- Skills in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating a wide variety of activities; developing implementing and communicating policies and procedures for a large organization; analyzing data, making sound recommendations and adopting effective causes of action, working tactfully with all levels of the organization.
- Previous accountability for departmental/company P&L with demonstrated experience in profitability management.
- Adaptability and ability to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving work environment while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Experience leading a multi-facility business.
At DSG, We Offer Benefits Built for You:
- We are proudly 100% employee owned, which means your hard work and decisions directly benefit not only the success of the organization, but also your individual Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
- We are highly committed to your training and development, offering personal and professional development opportunities and unlimited growth potential.
- We offer competitive compensation packages based on your experience and potential.
- You will receive generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and Extended Medical Leave (EML) allowances.
- Our comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, also offers a multitude of other perks such as life insurance, short- and long-term disability, paid parental leave, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and Health Savings Account (HSA) with employer contribution, among many others.
- You will have the opportunity to prepare for your future through multiple retirement savings opportunities, including a 401(k) with employer match and ESOP.
- You will receive a discount on all DSG-supplied products.
- We believe in giving back to our communities and hope that you will too, which is why we offer paid volunteer hours in addition to PTO.