Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for planning, leading, and directing employees in safe performance of their jobs in connection with cleaning, servicing, inspecting, testing and maintaining of rolling stock equipment and components in accordance with FRA, FDA, and Amtrak guidelines and standards.
• Supervises facility/yard operations or main facility operations related to assigned equipment inspection, maintenance, and repair programs and coordinates the movement, inspection, testing, servicing and repair of cars and locomotives in order to maximize equipment availability and reliability.
• Oversees inspection, testing and maintenance in accordance with 49CFR regulations and Amtrak guidelines and standards.
• Maintains all required qualifications and certifications to perform inspections and supervise work in accordance with state and federal requirements.
• Supervises maintenance of rolling stock equipment in accordance with all Amtrak and regulatory requirements.
• Plans, organizes, and maintains production schedules as applicable while operating within budget.
• Reviews work orders for assigned equipment, including planned corrective and preventive maintenance, and plans/assigns work.
• Ensures all inspection and work order results are properly recorded in WMS with attention to conditions found, performance measurements taken/recorded, symptoms noted, and inspections completed and/or deferred.
• Communicates and coordinates daily activities, mechanical issues, safety issues, material issues, etc. with appropriate departments and mechanical management.
• Provides constructive feedback and counsels and motivates employees relative to work performance; provides technical guidance and assistance to employees as needed.
• Conducts safety meetings and implements inspection and mechanical service related safety plans and programs.
• Maintains proper care and use of materials, test equipment, machines and hand tools normally associated with assigned job.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Some college or technical school and/or journeyman qualification preferred.
• Some supervisory experience in an operating environment preferred.
• Demonstrated experience working on machinery in an industrial, marine, railroad, or plant environment.
• Demonstrated experience in diagnosing and troubleshooting electrical and/or mechanical systems.
• Demonstrated experience working with a computerized asset management and/or work management system.
• Some knowledge and experience related to safety program methodology and its application.
• Demonstrated experience in working with WMS, SAP, ARROW, and other Amtrak automated programs preferred.
• Experience in the maintenance of railroad equipment preferred.
• Must successfully complete training and attain/retain certifications applicable to assigned job.
• Leadership, decision making, and team building skills.
• Organizational and problem solving skills.
• Ability to read and interpret schematics and mechanical drawings preferred.
• Understanding and working knowledge of equipment/system specifications and power tool operations.
• Understanding and working knowledge of various mechanical craft duties.
• Knowledge of accepted railroad quality standards preferred.
• Demonstrated computer skills.
• Knowledge and skill in the use of electrical tools, equipment, and the measurements necessary to meet established standards.
• Ability to read, write and communicate proficiently
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical