Job Title: Environmental, Health, & Safety Manager
Reports to: Plant Manager
Location: Magic Valley, ID
Build your career with Pacific Ethanol! Earn a competitive salary, eligibility for annual cash incentive and stock-based incentive, benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and 401k with a company dollar-for-dollar match up to 6%, a Wellness program, a stipend for fitness center expenses, a generous paid time off (PTO) program, and service awards for career longevity. Also, Pacific Ethanol values the communities where we work and live, and offers an extra 8 hours of paid leave for employees who volunteer their time and talents in their community.
Environment: Pacific Ethanol is the leading producer and marketer of low-carbon renewable fuels and high-quality alcohol products in the United States. Pacific Ethanol owns and operates nine production facilities, four in the Western states of California, Oregon and Idaho, and five in the Midwestern states of Illinois and Nebraska. Ethanol is an integral part of the country's transportation fuel market, currently representing nearly 10% of the overall gasoline supply in the United States. Pacific Ethanol is actively exploring cutting-edge cellulosic technology and alternative grain stocks that lower the carbon footprint and increase manufacturing efficiencies. With the implementation of Low Carbon Fuel Standard regulations, we are poised to meet the increasing demand as the US looks for new, cleaner fuel sources.
Job Purpose: Responsible for implementing and maintaining the Company’s programs related to employee safety, environment, and OSHA compliance.
The following is a list of major duties and responsibilities for this position along with certain supportive duties. It is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be added as needed and in addition; and, management may modify this job description as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conducts safety and environmental inspections to control occupational and environmental hazards. Performs job safety hazards analyses.
· Leads incident investigations to reveal root cause(s), and works with management team to effectively and pro-actively implement changes.
· Implements, and administers government required safety, health and environmental programs to ensure facility safety and environmental compliance.
· Generates government required OSHA reports
· Leads safety committee meetings and ensures action items are promptly addressed.
· Conducts safety and environmental training and coordinates training from vendors.
· Oversees local implementation of company Safety Incentive Program
· Tracks effectiveness of company safety and environmental programs and recommends changes as appropriate.
· Acts as a liaison with State, Federal and local agencies on safety issues.
Education and Experience Requirements
· 5+ years of documented safety experience (preferably in an industrial setting) and a 4-year college degree in Safety & Health, Environmental, or closely related field or equivalent combination of training and/or experience.
· Certificates from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP) or the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (CIH) are desirable.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively work with a management team to implement safety or environmental programs, and create a culture that values safety.
· Demonstrated ability to assert authority and take leadership on safety issues as needed.
· Must possess a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of state and Federal health, safety and environmental regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), etc..
· Must be able to prepare clear, comprehensive and concise technical reports for effective communication with a variety of internal and external entities.
· Must have effective presentation and communication skills for delivery of training programs and reports to plant employees and regulatory agencies.
· Proficiency in utilization of MS Office software including MS Word and Excel.
· Must be able to work in cold to hot temperatures; work around dust, fumes, and/or moderate to loud noises; works inside and/or outside;
· Able to lift, pull, carry, and pick-up average to heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds;
· Able to climb stairs and ladders; walk on paved and unpaved surfaces; sit at a desk and operate a computer and keyboard; visual acuity to review written documentation; ability to hear, speak, and understand speech at normal room levels and on the telephone; manual dexterity to operate a telephone; lift horizontally and vertically, bend, stoop, stand, twist, and reach;
· Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.