- Manage projects for new products and changes/improvements to existing products. Ensure projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Manage engineering team and resources. Assign projects, develop team members, administer performance reviews and provide training and technical guidance to engineering staff
- Establish and enforce engineering department design standards to ensure proper performance, code compliance and safety of products
- Provide solutions for customers’ unique applications by proposing modifications to standard products or developing new products
- Design and perform in-house testing to validate designs
- Maintain specification and product details in a clear and documented fashion.
- Coordinate with third-party test labs to certify products and lead the product certification efforts for all existing products.
- Ensure manufacturability of designs by working with production personnel and suppliers
- Collaborate with internal partners and be a source of technical product expertise.
- Manage continual improvement agenda and capital plan.
- Uphold safety and quality guidelines at all times.
- Report to senior leadership the status of team and projects as appropriate
- Perform other duties as needed
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge of Engineering and Production systems and processes.
- Ability to identify complex problems, evaluate options, and implement timely solutions.
- Proficient in the use of project management tools and techniques
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing principles.
- Knowledge of commercial construction and/or architectural practices and experience applying requirements of International Building Code (IBC) to projects
- Demonstrated the ability to successfully manage a technical team.
- Strong knowledge of management practices and ability to lead others effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and customers (internal & external) verbally and in writing.
- 7+ years of experience performing mechanical engineering work required, manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience supervising engineering staff or technical roles
- Experience evaluating engineering projects and reports and making decisions relative to their merit.
- Experience managing resources and a budget for multiple projects.
- Experience using project management and program planning processes and to create, manage and track project results.
- Proficient in 3D CAD and FEA software (Solidworks preferred)
- Experience with fire protection projects and/or heat transfer studies
- Experience working with third-party test labs to certify products
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required
- PMP (Project Management Professional) certification is preferred
- Physical- This position may operates in a professional office environment or manufacturing facility. This role must be able to safely operated hand tools and standard office equipment.
- Travel to test labs, sister companies and/or job sites to support company interests as required (5-10%)
Smoke Guard, Inc., a CSW Industrials company, does not make employment decisions based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, political affiliation, disability, age, genetic information, or veteran status. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).