General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opening for an entry level Welding Engineer to join our Manufacturing Engineering department located in Tupelo, MS. The Welding Engineer directly supports the delivery of all hardware and documentation required by the respective contract.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports weld development activities, such as procuring material, coordinating with external vendors and floor support during Procedure Qualification Record (PQRs).
- Review Design DWGs for correct weld symbol and Code application requirements.
- Uses extensive expertise in manufacturing, machining/fabrication and construction tasks to execute production responsibilities.
- Help establish control plans/processes for welding operations.
- Supports operation of engineering systems by evaluating and interpreting needs and problems and develops effective approaches to resolving those issues.
- Review and approve Supplier weld documentation.
- Effectively organizes and executes work assignments to meet project milestones. Utilizes knowledge of production planning, scheduling, budgeting and performance measurement or Earned Value (EV) systems to manage the project schedule/budget.
- Ensures on-time delivery for raw materials, subassemblies and required manufacturing/quality documentation by maintaining frequent contact with vendor base. May function as the production/technical point of contact for critical subcontractors, vendors and the customer.
- Reviews engineering specifications and drawings. Confers across functional areas to provide and obtain technical information.
- Helps manage and coordinate production schedules.
- Develops work instructions for fabrication
- Develop lifting and handling procedures and work instructions
- Coordination of inspection, maintenance and certification of lifting and handling equipment
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and two or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have an understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Prior experience working with NAVSEA requirements, such as NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010-248, NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010 278, NAVSEA T9074-AD-GIB-010-1688, and MIL-STD-1689, or DoD Shipyards is preferred.
- Experience with programming automated welding systems desired.
- Crane, forklift and upender equipment experience desired
- Cross functional manufacturing engineering experience in fabrication, mechanical assembly and machining desired
- Experience with fixture design desired
- Crating and shipping fixture experience desired
- Naval Facilities (NAVFAC) P-307 experience desired
- Shipyard and/or heavy fabrication experience desired
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one engineering area; and lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Experience with SAP and is a plus.
- Prior experience working with robotics is desired.
- Certifications in Lean Six Sigma and American Welding Society (AWS) are desired.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Secret Clearance is desired.