This Position Description identifies the major responsibilities of this job for FMH Conveyors (Company). It does not include all aspects of the position such as the potential additional duties assigned by the Director of Engineering or other Company management.
This person will primarily perform Electrical Engineering and design functions related to multiple types of conveyors including: powered flexible and non-flexible, rigid drive-out, telescopic, as well as other related conveyor products as assigned. The position will involve programming for multiple types of PLCs as well as other programming in multiple program languages. The position will also involve a limited degree of mechanical engineering. The person will perform a variety of engineering and design functions associated with the conveyor related products the Company designs, manufactures, sells and supports (sales, service, etc.). These functions will include, but not be limited to: design of the electrical power and control circuits using CAD software (3-D and 2-D); design of new control boards; selection of power and control components; and programming, including PLCs, VBA and within the Companys ERP system. Other functions will include: interfacing with Mechanical Engineers for the power and controls engineering and design; checking drawings; working within the ERP system, including programming Engineering Configurators and developing / checking BOMs and MOMs; configuring products to customer specifications; leading or assisting with R&D projects; providing work assignments to CAD Designers / Modelers; and other Engineering work associated with the Companys products as assigned.
Required to sit and stand for extended periods of time; occasionally climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Office and manufacturing environment
FMH Conveyors designs and manufactures products and services for truck loading and unloading applications. The NestaFlex and BestFlex brands lead the market in flexible gravity and powered conveyors, while MaxxReach and BestReach are the premier brands in telescopic and rigid conveyor systems. Known worldwide for their durability and reliability, FMH Conveyors products are engineered to support material handling applications for distribution centers, e-commerce, parcel post, retail stores, and a variety of manufacturers to help maximize productivity and increase efficiency.
- Work in a fast-paced team environment within the Engineering Department to complete the power and control systems design portion of each custom Engineered to Order Conveyor Order
- Develop or modify existing BOMs and MOMs in the ERP system for all conveyors and related conveyor power and controls components; power and control enclosure assembly, conveyor wiring, etc.
- Develop electrical schematics for power and controls for the all of the Companys products using 2-D CAD software
- Develop 3-D CAD models of electrical components (power and controls enclosures, components, etc.)
- Create PLC ladder logic for multiple types of PLCs used on companys Conveyors
- Develop new solid state circuit board layout working with the Companys circuit board manufacturer
- Write code within the Companys ERP system to create Engineering Configurators that will automate the design of conveyors and components (mechanical and electrical)
- Troubleshoot electrical and controls issues pertaining to the Companys engineered products
- Work with Autodesk Inventor 3-D modelling software, as well as 2-D drawings in AutoCAD or other CAD software
- Calculate data required to produce component parts from raw materials by specifying needed material requirements (cables to length with connectors from customer specifications)
- Confers with various associates and customers as needed to determine proper performance specifications and ensure the intended product design is provided to the customer
- Travel to customers sites as requested to evaluate product installations, assist with startup and testing, troubleshoot to ensure the conveyors and accessories are operating to customer specifications and requirements
- Be willing to engage with the engineering team or other associates in the company to evaluate and work toward improving existing approaches, methods and performance measures
- Understand Lean manufacturing and participate with the engineering and manufacturing teams to improve or implement Lean processes that result in reductions in manufacturing scrap rates, costs and labor through the use of Lean tools and methodology
POSITION SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
- Technical Capacity
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Collaboration Skills
- Communication Proficiency
EDUCATION: Minimum of a Bachelors Degree (B.S.) in Electrical Engineering is required from ABET Accredited Engineering College or University
- Minimum of 5 years experience (10+ preferred) in engineering and design of manufactured equipment, systems or materials and within manufacturing environment with demonstrated success in developing accurate engineering work product, including detailed drawings, working in ERP systems and
- CAD experience (both 3-D and 2-D)
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations with the ability to write reports, business
- correspondence and procedure manuals
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Experience and/or willingness to frequently work on the shop floor to ensure BOM and MOM configuration accuracy
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Ability to read, understand and implement various industry codes and regulations, including but not limited to NEC, UL, ANSI, NIOSH, and OSHA
- Candidate must have effective and collaborative problem solving skills
- Good knowledge and understanding of assembly, electrical, welding, fabrication, paint, machine shop and production processes
- Computer skills:Knowledge of "C#" programming language or some variant of "C" is a plus; excellent MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) is essential
- Skilled with 3-D CAD modeling (Inventor preferred) or SolidWorks and 2-D CAD (AutoCAD)
- Experienced User/Super User of ERP/MRP systems