For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
The Director of Global Trade Compliance is responsible for creating and delivering strategic direction, thought-leadership and vision for CRLs Global Trade Compliance Program (GTCP). The Director is a proven industry SME who maintains and continuously improves the GTCP via best practices and automation. The Director builds great global teams by hiring, developing and retaining a high quality, motivated GTC team in support of current and long-term trade compliance needs. The Director leads the GTCP strategy , creates policy and executes projects in collaboration with stakeholders from a variety of functions, including legal, finance, commercial, and supply chain. The Director must have excellent organizational skills, exceptional subject matter expertise, a high degree of adaptability and the ability to anticipate and respond to changing priorities.This position can be 100% remote.
• Lead the discussion to develop and create best practice strategies, collaborating with business leaders to efficiently expand the business in international markets.
• Drive trade compliance risk management strategies and processes, consistent with requirements of all countries and regions in which the Company transacts business; develop mitigating strategies and communicate to the business.
• Lead the International compliance and licensing function globally, establishing export & import compliance processes to comply with domestic and foreign laws.
• Establish positive relationships with regulatory agencies, monitor regulatory changes, provide expert advice and apply them to the company’s international trade strategies.
• Manage a global duty budget of $20Million+
• Lead efforts to drive continuous improvement in Order to Delivery process – driving high customer satisfaction & lowering operating costs
• Lead & collaborate with stakeholders to establish processes and procedures to appropriately classify products and define standard trade terms.
• Create and implement trade compliance training and development structures which drive professionalism and personal development for GTC staff.
• Drive Customer Experience improvements for Global Supply Chain by closely partnering with customers and external business partners.
• Build, develop and retain a highly effective & engaged global team.
• Manage external GTC support partners, driving value-add relationships in outsourced activities.
• Ensure Global Trade SOP’s and policies are current, effective, well communicated and individuals are trained
• Ensure that the Global Trade organization is compliant with the Quality Management System, Good Manufacturing/Distribution Principles & ISO 13485.
o Extensive knowledge/experience in international trade. An industry thought-leader in Global Trade systems and best practices.
o Comprehensive knowledge of ITAR, EAR & OFAC regulations
o Comprehensive knowledge of Logistics, domestic and international, modes, practices and policies
o Comprehensive knowledge of SAP GTS
o Strong knowledge & experience of medical device regulations as applied to global trade
o Strong knowledge & experience with Cold Chain controls
o Strong knowledge & experience with CITES regulations
o Strong knowledge of Lean Manufacturing & Continuous Improvement Principles
o Strong knowledge of business systems, data management and Microsoft office
o Strong knowledge of ISO 13485 and GMP/GDP systems, applications and policies
o Strong Knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Word & Outlook)
o Familiarity & understanding of SAP ERP
o Uses an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness to develop and/or apply highly advanced concepts, principles, standards, or techniques to solve challenging business problems
o Ability to effectively create, communicate and deliver long-range GTC business process and technology roadmaps.
o Ability to develop, review & negotiate broker contracts
o Ability to lead & develop a diverse team in a fast paced environment
o Ability to exercise sound judgement within established guidelines
o Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in written format in English
o Bachelor’s degree in International Trade, Business, or Supply Chain; MBA preferred
o Broker License preferred
o 12-15 years of experience with Global Trade or related function required.
o 5-7 years managing / leading a Global Trade Compliance function
o Experience of leading Global Trade teams in multiple regions required.
o Previous experience in Life Sciences organization with focus on research preferred
o Willing & able to travel to various CRL and customer locations, domestically and internationally
o Willing to work as necessary to achieve defined goals and objectives
o Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate global stakeholders and suppliers
Charles River is a U.S. Federal Contractor. As a result, we must follow the Presidential Executive Order to mandate vaccinations, and ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Our main priority is the wellbeing, health, and safety of our people. We require proof of vaccination from all employees.
Anyone with requests for disability-related and/or religious exemptions should contact Talent Acquisition ([email protected]) so that information can be provided about the accommodation process at Charles River.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 18,000 employees within 100 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of >80% of the drugs approved by the FDA for the past 3 years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [email protected] This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.