Job Location: 03 Gibson City - Gibson City, IL
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: 2 Year Degree
Salary Range: Undisclosed
Job Shift: Day
Job Category: Installation - Maint - Repair
POSITION SUMMARY: A diesel service technician diagnoses and performs standard mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic repairs, and assembles equipment for the company and its customers. Performs work in an efficient and accurate manner to ensure customer satisfaction and company profitability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES of a diesel service technician include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Inspect, diagnose, troubleshoot, and locate mechanical deficiencies on Heavy Equipment as assigned by the service manager.
- Proper use of diagnostic equipment.
- Determine extent of necessary repairs including identifying major power-train overhaul needs. Prepare orders for required services. Source and order parts as needed.
- Repair and/or replace all components of diesel engines, hydraulic, air conditioning, electrical, and suspension systems, drive trains, steering, braking, material handling, and operator comfort systems.
- Read, analyze, and interpret technical information from schematics, technical manuals, drawings and procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Perform welding and brazing, fabricate and modify parts, equipment, miscellaneous structures and attachments.
- Keep service manager informed on special parts orders, shortages and malfunctions.
- Complete all work orders (including warranty information) and time sheets in a legible, accurate, and timely manner.
- Maintain a current knowledge of products, technology and models by participating in educational opportunities, reading technical and regulation publications.
- Work as part of a team, offering and seeking assistance when needed.
- Keep shop vehicles clean and serviced.
- Help control expenses and produce as much quality work as possible.
- Help maintain cleanliness, neatness and safety of personal work space, building and lot.
- Maintain a safe working environment and adhere to company safety program at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Customer Service Responsibilities:
- Ensure every customer is satisfied with the products, services and support of all staff.
- Resolve customers concerns efficiently and effectively.
- Promote a positive attitude at all times. .
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Exhibit Birkey's high level of customer service on a daily basis.
- Acknowledge appreciation of clients and customer.
This organization reserves the right to revise the essential position functions as the need arises.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Individual should have an associates or its equivalent. Should be able to set work priorities and work independently in the absence of supervision and be able to understand and carryout oral and written directions. Individual must have the ability to maintain high degree of motivation in team members to retain the focus of providing the highest level of customer satisfaction.
The individual should have a minimum of six months of related experience, steady work record, and must be able to perform each of the essential position functions.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to get around the dealership and grounds for various tasks.
- The employee would normally lift or move 10 lbs, frequently lift or move up to 25 lbs and occasionally lifts or move up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to tolerate up and down movement with bending or stooping including reaching above and below shoulder height with arms and hands.
- Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb a ladder with the ability to carry an object while climbing.
- Ability to operate equipment or other power equipment as necessary.
- Ability to push/pull up to 100 lbs of force.
- Must meet health assessment requirements.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes and noise.
- The employee is generally required to stand for long periods of time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing duties, the employee may be near moving mechanical parts and inside and outside weather conditions.