Start Date: January 2023
End Date: August 2023
The Design Engineer Intern responsible is for the creation, revision, and maintenance of manufacturing processes to physically working with production on the shop floor to resolve issues. This includes all production shop processes and production control/order processes.
Steffes Core Values
Trust: We promote growth and long-term success by making wise decisions with trust as an essential component.
Respect: We unleash creative talents of our diverse workforce by treating each other the way we would like to be treated.
Teamwork: We believe people achieve much more by working together.
Integrity: We follow through and keep our word while being open, honest, ethical, and fair.
Safety: We view our co-workers as family members of our business and strive to ensure safety for all.
Humility: We recognize and appreciate strengths and contributions beyond one’s self. We are modest, genuine, and authentic.
- Participates in safety, quality, cost, and delivery improvement projects including project definition, selection, implementation, and reporting. Provides advice, compiles data, estimates costs and results of improvement projects.
- Participates in LEAN events such as Kaizens, Value Stream mapping, 5S, and VAVE. Gather information, complete action items, and follow-up on items.
- May design production fixtures, devices, and tools.
- Document, create, evaluate, and maintain standard work instructions for production and administrative processes.
- Completes time and motion analysis studies.
- May participate in reviewing and processing Engineer Change Orders (ECOs) on the manufacturing side. This may include design, drawings, and specification reviews as well as FMEA’s, PPAP’s, ISIR’s.
- Assist in ensuring appropriate internal and customer documentation requirements are satisfied.
- May participate in the establishment of quality specifications and standards.
- Participates in root cause analysis and implementing a corrective action in response to nonconformance reports.
- Works in the production shop to learn the processes and come up with recommendations for improvement.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in collaborative manner with customers, suppliers, co-workers, and management.
- Helps company meet its Strategic, Quality and Safety objectives.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Customer Service - Demonstrate excellent customer service and display a positive attitude and behavior consistent with the Steffes Code of Conduct and Core Values.
Quality - Actively support and participate in Quality Improvement.
- Take immediate action in unsafe situations.
- Adhere to all safety standards; thus, promoting safe practices to ensure a safe environment.
Conduct - Demonstrate and support the Steffes Code of Conduct.
Policies and Procedures - Demonstrate and support Steffes Policies and Procedures by:
- Using tact, sound judgement, and maintaining a professional attitude in communication and relationships with others.
- Striving to deliver the best quality in daily work.
- Promoting a positive image of Steffes and its products.
- Being timely and punctual in attendance and following all policies and procedures.
- 2+ years of engineering courses with a focus in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering
- Intermediate computer knowledge (Windows, email, internet, etc.)
- Microsoft Word – Intermediate
- Microsoft Excel – Intermediate
- Microsoft PowerPoint - Basic
- Microsoft Outlook – Basic
- Basic 2D (AutoCAD) and/or 3D CAD (PTC Creo, Soildworks) experience, preferred
- Intermediate Math skills
- Communication skills (Develop written communications requiring grammar skills; interact with customers or suppliers on an explanatory basis; interact with groups of people and co-workers; use of telephones, public address system, and oral communication)
- OR -
- An acceptable combination of education and experience
Physical Demands of Position
- This position requires walking, sitting or standing to a significant degree.
- Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds from floor to waist, carry 50 pounds, and push and/or pull up to 20 pounds.
- Must have the ability to climb ladders and/or stairs.
- Stooping, crouching, kneeling and bending.
- Handling, feeling, and gripping would be required for some activities.
- Visual acuity is required to inspect work completed.
- This role may be subject to internal and external environmental conditions.