This manager will coordinate the short-term activities of this area within established guidelines and standards to produce the highest quality, lowest cost product in the safest and most efficient manner. This line manager will facilitate associate growth through development planning and conducting/coordinating any/all necessary training for both the individual associates and the team, as required. This manager will implement and enforce established policy and strategy.
CVS and Continuous improvement is a key aspect of this role. The manager will accomplish this through Mars Supply Excellence - building associate capability and encouraging/enforcing equipment ownership to reduce equipment short stops and breakdowns and maintain equipment at base condition as well as follow the established standards for CVS.
- Manufacturing Conversion – Manage the efforts of operating teams of a multi-line area or technology on one shift in the efficient conversion of materials into quality products in a safe, secure and sanitary manner within the product design specifications.
- Change Agent – Recommend and implement changes in methods, equipment, systems and organization, as needed, to assure that the objectives of the line/area are met.
- Associate Advocacy – Manage associate relations issues and guide and direct the hiring, training, retraining, development and motivation of Operations associates following self-managed, team working principles with a minimum degree of guidance from the Operations Manager. Gallup Engagement surveys will be used to determine individual effectiveness in this area and assure site to site consistency.
- Goal Setting and Measurement – With the general guidance of the Production Manager and through Operations teams, establish line performance standards and goals and measure, control, take corrective action and report results as appropriate.
- Troubleshooting – At this stage of technical development, and under the general guidance of the Operations Manager, the Line Manager utilizes the technical resources on shift for the preventive maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of process/packaging equipment problems, with the objective of effectively using these resources to achieve desired performance levels.
- Communications – Ensure that open communications are established and that opportunities to broaden the scope and responsibility of Operations teams/associates are undertaken.
- Technology Advancement – Advise the Production Manager when opportunities exist for moving the line/area forward in technological change.
- Operations Strategy – Participate with the Operations Manager in the implementation of improvement strategies that will help the line/area perform more effectively in the near term.
- Associate Development – Evaluate associate performance and develop, in conjunction with associate’s plans, to challenge their potential.
- Personal Development – Keep abreast of the managerial and technical competencies, both within and outside Mars Petcare US.
- This position and all site associates are responsible for quality and food safety
Education & Professional Qualifications
- Advanced Degree
- Demonstrated experience working in Quality & HACCP concepts, plant sanitation practices and procedures
- Demonstrated experience working in Safety
- Minimum 1 year experience in a food production environment
- Minimum 7 years in a Production Environment
- Minimum 5 years in a supervisory or managerial role
- Project Management
- Proficiency in word process, spreadsheets, internet software, email
- Ability to work any shift as needed
Knowledge / Experience
- 5 years experience In a Production Environment
- 3 years experience in a supervisory or managerial role
- Working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices
- Ability to convey communications clearly and concisely
- Understanding of major functions within the plant and the ability to work directly with all levels and functions
- Successful completion of a drug and background screen
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.