Job Title: Controller
Reports to: President & CEO
Location: Lakewood, CO
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Here at Dynalectric Company (Colorado), we build, power, service, and protect the electrical systems and infrastructure for businesses, the government, and our military throughout the State of Colorado. We ensure the operations of facilities and systems, that serve and support the people of Colorado. We’re driven by our values and code of ethics. Mutual Respect and Trust, Integrity, Commitment to Safety, Discipline, Transparency and Teamwork are the values we live; the metrics to ensure that every action we take is aligned with the principles in which we believe.
The Controller ensures that company goals and objectives are met by maintaining the integrity of the accounting and data processing systems and by ensuring that appropriate procedures and controls are in place to maintain compliance with GAAP, SEC, company and corporate reporting requirements.
The Controller will work with human resources on related business needs and partner with other company managers to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all operating unit assets including fixed assets and accounts receivable.
- Manage cash flow by coordinating timely collections with appropriate project managers and customers.
- Coordinate timely payments with suppliers and purchasing personnel.
- Prepare the company’s financial reporting package and ancillary documentation timely and in accordance with applicable established policies and procedures.
- Completion of timely month-end journal entries, balance sheet and bank reconciliations.
- Work with executive management on quarterly and annual forecasts.
- Manage all data processing operations to ensure timely and accurate reporting as required.
- Ensure financial and accounting functions, financial controls, and records meet all federal, state, local and company regulatory requirements.
- Partner with Estimating in the preparation of pre-qualification documents as needed and ensure that changes in labor rates, insurance rates and tax rates are communicated timely and accurately.
- Review contracts and leases prior to execution noting billing, payment, retention, bonding and insurance terms as well as any other issue that may be of concern or liability to the company and recommend appropriate modifications to senior management.
- Ensure executed contracts and all executed change orders, bond, certificate of insurance and applicable subcontracts are properly maintained.
- Review all credit applications or D&B reports on new and/or potential customers when conditions warrant.
- Partner with the Fleet Manager to coordinate and track company vehicle licensing and registration.
- Ensure procurement of bonding and insurances as required by company policy and project contracts.
- Review and approve payroll, purchase orders, accounts payable, expense vouchers and account adjustments.
- Coordinate support requirements for construction operation with company chief executive.
- Coordinate filing of “Notice to Owner” on all new projects and monitor releases of lien for terminology and accuracy prior to signing.
- Establish positive working relationships with company vendors and suppliers and coordinate vendor negotiations with Operations Manager for inclusion of terms and discounts.
- Coordinate claims issues and legal activity with EMCOR Construction Services legal counsel by providing records, reports, and all other documentation that may be necessary to address a claim.
- Participate and coordinate internal/external audits schedule and requirements.
- Conduct annual audit of stored records to ensure compliance with established company and legal regulations.
- Prepare payroll and generate reports as needed in the absence of accounting and/or payroll personnel.
- Monitor and analyze monthly overhead expenditures to justify and/or correct budget variances.
- Prepare monthly insurance loss runs and status of existing claims to determine adequate reserves are accrued and adjusted as needed.
- Manage claims to reduce potential exposure in accordance with Company loss control policy.
- Responsible for monitoring appropriate categorization of costs for tax purposes and completion of annual tax package.
- Review and approve monthly HRIS reports to include Inter-Company Insurance Billings, 401k Contributions and FSA contributions.
- Oversee and ensure and coordinate employee data in the company’s HRIS including salary, bonus, benefits, 401(k), and FSA administration.
- Manage control of company property issued to employees leased by the company to ensure compliance with associated contracts.
- Lead and participate in special projects as needed.
- Comply with all company operating policies, procedures, and safety programs as established.
Plan, direct, coordinate and evaluate the activities and performance of direct reports, including payroll and accounting personnel.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting or Business, five to seven years recent related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and construction experience. CPA desirable.
- Significant working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing financial and accounting practices.
- Working knowledge of construction contract language and terms.
- Experience overseeing and leading human resources, safety and risk functions is desirable.
- Experience overseeing employee benefits administration desirable.
- P&L responsibility for $25 million in revenue desired.
- Significant experience with Microsoft Office (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel) applications.
- Working knowledge of PC based job cost, general ledger and fixed asset systems.
- Working knowledge of StarBuilder financial/payroll software helpful.
- Experience with Pvault Enterprise Content Manager helpful
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities sought to perform this job successfully.
- Must make sound decisions and produce accurate and timely results.
- Must be a hands-on manager.
- Must exhibit confidence in self and others, inspire and motivate team to perform well and effectively influence the actions of others.
- Must monitor and analyze information and solve problems on a strategic and tactical level.
- Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels of employee and management.
- Must demonstrate integrity and professionalism.
- Must demonstrate commitment to company values.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; move within the office to retrieve files and meet with employees in their offices or conference room.
Able to work at a computer (reading and keying) or extended periods of time.
This role requires communicating verbally and in writing one on one, in small groups, as well as presenting to larger groups of employees.
Requires ability to periodically drive or fly to visit Dynalectric Colorado work sites (including the Construction Office in Colorado Springs, CO), customers, or attend company events.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
COMPENSATION RANGE: $90,000 - $130,000
OTHER COMPENSATION: May be eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus in accordance with Company policy
Benefits: As a leading provider of mechanical and electrical construction, facilities services, and energy infrastructure, EMCOR Group is committed to its employees. This commitment is embodied in our competitive benefits package, which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as flexible spending accounts, life insurance, disability income, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401(k) Savings Plans, and employee assistance and wellness programs.