*** This is an Onsite Position located at 127 Fore Street, Portland, ME 04101 ***
Compounding Pharmacy Technician
The Compounding Pharmacy Technician, under general supervision of a licensed pharmacist, and in accordance with standard departmental procedures, prepare medication for animal consumption. Supports the company mission, vision, and values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform duties while supervised by a licensed pharmacist. Areas of work are checked routinely for maintenance of quality control.
- Work is conducted in accordance with general accepted standards of practice following departmental procedures and policies, including wearing the proper PPE.
- Read and interpret veterinarian orders received in pharmacy and transcribe same onto a pharmacy computer medication profile.
- Prepare in accordance with standards of pharmacy practice compounds for use under direct pharmacist supervision.
- Prepare in accordance with pharmacy law and standards of pharmacy practice, prescriptions to be dispensed after pharmacist approval.
- Check and remove outdated med on a routine basis to ensure that no deteriorated meds are in stock. Keep appropriate records.
- Using the company compounding system, and under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist; record, weigh, and combine pharmaceuticals in appropriate dosage according to formula and dosage for as required by the prescription.
- Record refrigerator and freezer temperatures, where pharmaceuticals are stored daily.
- Calibration and proper documentation of scales, powder hoods, etc.
- Follows all safety and USP guidelines for preparation of compounded medications.
- Complete internal monthly continuing education requirements which include but are not limited to pharmaceutical calculations, journal articles, webinars, and SOP reviews.
- Follow established pharmacy SOPs and Quality Assurance program.
- Perform additional functions in both internal and external departments where needed to meet business needs.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED.
- Pharmacy technician registration as required by the state law.
- Compounding experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- PTCB preferred but not required.
- Experience with veterinary products preferred.
- Position requires successful completion of internal pharmacy technician compounding training.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS AND ABILITIES)
- Perform basic math sufficient to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measurement correctly and consistently
- Operate a calculator proficiently
- Interact with computer software via a keyboard
- Pay attention to details and retain information readily
- Read, comprehend, and translate regulations & laws into understandable instructions
- Demonstrate interpersonal relationship building skills and function effectively as a team player
- Knowledge of basic principles, theories and laws, policies and procedures that pertain to compounding
- Exhibit punctuality and low absenteeism
PHYSICIAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be capable of wearing all protective wear which may include, but is not limited to masks, gloves, gowns, hairnets, safety goggles, etc.
- Must be able to read reports and computer screen, hear well enough to communicate with colleagues, walk and stand for extended periods of time, operate computer, and telephone, and occasionally lift objects up to 50 pounds.
Covetrus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Jobs that are in Colorado:
If you are a Colorado applicant, you are eligible to receive information about the salary range and benefits for this role. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org