Job Title: Commodity Operator
Reports to: Commodities Manager
Location: Burley, ID
Starting Pay: $18/Hour
This position works 12 HOUR SHIFTS; DAYS - 7AM to 7PM OR NIGHTS - 7PM to 7AM
Build your career with Alto Ingredients! Earn a competitive salary, benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and 401k with a company dollar-for-dollar match up to 6%, a Wellness program, a stipend for fitness center expenses, a generous paid time off (PTO) program, and service awards for career longevity. Alto Ingredients values the communities where we work and live and offers an extra 8 hours of paid leave for employees who volunteer their time and talents in their community.
Environment: Alto Ingredients produces and markets high-quality alcohols for chemical, industrial, and human consumption, diversified high-value protein and energy products for livestock, aquatic and pet food markets and renewable fuel grade ethanol to major and independent oil companies. Alto Ingredients owns and operates seven production facilities in California, Idaho, Illinois, and Oregon. The plants have a combined production capacity of 450 million gallons per year and produce over two million tons per year of co-products – on a dry matter basis – such as wet and dry distillers’ grains, wet and dry corn gluten feed, condensed distillers solubles, corn gluten meal, corn germ, corn oil, distillers yeast and CO2, based on historical volumes. Alto Ingredients markets and distributes fuel-grade ethanol, high-quality alcohol products and co-products domestically and internationally. Alto Ingredients’ subsidiary, Kinergy Marketing LLC, markets all ethanol and high-quality alcohol products for Alto Ingredients’ plants as well as for third parties. Alto Ingredients’ subsidiary, Pacific Ag. Products LLC, markets wet and dry distillers’ grains.
Our Pekin campus produces products destined for Health, Food and Beverage and Industrial markets. All personnel are responsible for the safety of these products, which includes participation in training, following cGMP and food safety requirements in the facility, and reviewing and following SOPs for incoming ingredients and outgoing products.
Job Purpose: This position is responsible for processing, loading, unloading, receiving, and inspecting commodities such as corn, ethanol, distiller’s grain, and multiple grain commodities in an efficient and productive manner.
The following is a list of major duties and responsibilities for this position along with certain supportive duties. It is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be added as needed and in addition; and management may modify this job description as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Moves materials and products with the use of industrial equipment which typically includes front-end loader, telehandler, and skid steer equipment.
- Receives, inspects, and records incoming commodities and other raw materials (grain, ethanol, etc.); and directs it to its designated location.
- Loads trucks, railcars, and/or barges with bulk products including ethanol, syrup, grain, etc.
- Adjusts the grain equipment to adapt to variances in grain; makes minor adjustments to the equipment settings to ensure the product produced meets quality and quantity standards and expectations.
- Monitors the quality of the product to ensure the product meets industry/company standards; reports and sets aside defective product.
- Assists maintenance department by inspecting and servicing equipment to ensure that the equipment is always performing at peak efficiency.
- Assists operations department as needed.
- Monitors vendor truck drivers on site and trains new truck drivers in unloading and loading procedures.
- Transfers products within tank farm.
- Records daily production activities and verifies production; maintains adequate records of production volume, down-time, and equipment breakdowns.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities to improve productivity levels and service methods to maximize overall quality and productivity.
- Complies with state, and federal laws, policies, and regulations, and adheres to quality assurance programs and safety standards.
- Adheres to safety programs to promote a safe environment and to minimize safety hazards/injuries.
- Attends informational meetings and work-related training to keep abreast of any new policies and/or procedures or company developments/initiatives.
- Know the difference between feed products to load customers.
- Be able to run different equipment being used to unload hopper cars.
Supportive duties and responsibilities:
- Cleans up work area; picks-up cardboard, plastic and other debris that is lying around.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Experience working in a manufacturing/production environment
- Proficiency operating industrial equipment such as forklift, front-end loader, telehandler, and skid steer equipment.
- Basic understanding of grain and feed equipment preferred, but not required.
- Competent working with computers; knowledgeable of operation software.
- Knowledge of basic math principles and able to read and write.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a team.
- Safety oriented.
- Must be able to work at heights
- Good customer service skills
- Good mechanical skills
- Ability to operate a forklift and pallet jack in a safe manner.
- Ability to follow directions and work well with little supervision.
- Ability to speak and write in English.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bilingual skills are (English/Spanish) preferred, but not required.
- Must have the ability to work different shifts and overtime. This includes the possibility of short-term and long-term shift reassignment to match the needs of the business.
- Must be able to work in cold to hot temperatures; work around dust, fumes, and/or moderate to loud noises; works inside and/or outside.
- Able to lift, pull, carry, and pick-up average to heavy objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Able to climb stairs and ladders; walk on paved and unpaved surfaces; sit at a desk and operate a computer and keyboard; visual acuity to review written documentation; ability to hear, speak, and understand speech at normal room levels and on the telephone; manual dexterity to operate a telephone; lift horizontally and vertically, bend, stoop, stand, twist, and reach.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Alto Ingredients participates in E-Verify; Criminal background check and drug screen required.