Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
City Government Reporter
The Tuscaloosa News/tuscaloosanews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a city reporter to contribute enterprising stories about how city and county governments affect its residents.
The right candidate will write about issues and policies, all while holding officeholders to account for taxpayers and community stakeholders. Explaining how business and government shape growth and development in the community is also a component of this beat. The successful candidate will have a passion for finding stories beyond government meetings and ordinances, striving to provide greater context to readers and producing journalism that builds a following by informing and engaging readers.
Depth, accuracy and authenticity are vital. Social media fluency is a core requirement. Teamwork is big here, so it’s expected you’re comfortable working with journalists at all levels across our local, regional and national network. We are part of the USA Today Network, which has hundreds of news sites across the country.
Life in Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa, the heart of West Alabama, lies along the banks of the Black Warrior River and is home to the University of Alabama, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, a state-of-the-art amphitheater and the Tuscaloosa Civil Rights Trail. While Tuscaloosa is known for its legendary college football team, it stands at the forefront of cutting-edge technology as Mercedes prepares to produce the plant's first electric vehicles. Tuscaloosa is also home to a vibrant downtown with a thriving live music scene, outdoor spaces to explore and local restaurants to meet every palate. With unprecedented enrollment growth at the university and a diverse, burgeoning economy, Tuscaloosa is poised to roll into the future. It’s a good time to be here as a journalist — plenty of stories to cover and attention to gain. Come join our close-knit team and grow with us.
- Leverages community sources, online tools and public records to develop stories on local government, its services and the people and communities that benefit from or are harmed by its decisions.
- Breaks exclusive stories, and provides thoughtful, fact-based analysis and narrative features.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Contributes to coverage of major events and national projects.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 years' of reporting/newsroom experience.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos on a smartphone, and some proficiency in recording and editing video.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at [email protected]