The Shipyard Test Organization is seeking a highly motivated and engaged Chief Test Engineer to oversee the entirety of the STO test sequencing and execution for a new construction Virginia Class hull. The selected candidate would be responsible to provide oversight and coordination of all Steam & Electric Plant and Hull, Mechanical & Electrical testing in accordance with NAVSEA 0905-485-6010 and Steam & Electrical Plant Manual for Control of Testing and Plant Conditions.
The Chief Test Engineer shall be dedicated to the continuous development of their salary and hourly crew support, have a strong focus on cost, schedule, safety, and first time quality, and uphold the Shipyard Test Organization pillars of Formality, Procedural Compliance, Integrity, Ownership, and Planning. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Effectively manage and develop a team of 1-3 Assistant Chief Test Engineers, 2-4 Test Supervisors, and an hourly workforce of 15-40 hourly mechanical and electrical technicians.
- Professionally interface with various entities: Ships Management, Ships Force, JPTG, Naval Reactors, Vendors and all supporting shipyard trades and engineering.
- Direct the performance of all HM&E/S&EP testing assigned
- Control temporary shipboard systems and utilities installation, such as shore power, cooling water, steam, air and other gases used in support of testing, system operation and control of ships conditions
- Maintain compliance with all applicable procedures and instructions
- Maintain stringent controls and coordination of all activities involving system reentry and restoration and/or affecting ship's conditions (Watertight Integrity Permits) in accordance with all SSP and Work Control procedures
- Must be able to qualify and maintain qualification as Non-Nuclear Shift Test Engineer. This qualification is compensated with a premium upon completion.
- High School Diploma
- 10+ years of experience in the Shipyard Test Organization as well as experience as an Assistant Chief Test Engineer or equivalent Navy, Nuclear Test, or Project Management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or Business Management. Other Engineering and Business degrees will be considered.
- Naval Nuclear Propulsion experience
Climbing, Color Vision, Light Lifting, Pushing, Reaching, Stooping, Twisting
Cold, Dry, Hot, Inside, Noise, Outside, Wet