Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Please note: This position has the possibility to work remotely up to 100% of the time. The position will require occasional travel to the Phoenix corporate offices and/or site locations . This position may be performed anywhere in the U.S. except California, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky and New York. Additional states may be excluded from remote work based on business factors. Should the positions shift to in-office work in the future, the company will offer relocation benefits at that time should the position meet the established eligibility for these benefits.
This in-person position is performed onsite at Freeport-McMoRan’s corporate office in Phoenix, Arizona. In accordance with Freeport-McMoRan’s requirement for all employees who are working or attending a meeting onsite at the corporate office, if you are hired you will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to entry, unless the company has granted a medical or religious accommodation.
Under limited supervision, plans, organizes, supervises and evaluates Metallurgical testing and analysis at assigned site. Responsible for establishing Metallurgical performance targets for the site.
- Supervises and develops Metallurgical staff
- Anticipates threats and opportunities to the production forecast. Reviews, recommends and implements strategies to achieve forecast production levels
- Defines Metallurgical reporting targets. Reports Metallurgical or process issues/problems, completes data analysis and makes recommendations to appropriate site management for correction or operational improvement opportunities
- Supervises or may serve as technical expert on the most complex Metallurgical testing
- Contributes to site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for Metallurgical testing
- Provides guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable programs, practices and existing/proposed local, State and Federal regulations
- Leads the process of predicting production and making production forecasts for the assigned unit process
- Contributes to the preparation of technical reports. Provides data analysis, economic evaluations. Supervise or review, investigate and troubleshoot forecasts and other operational data. Determines cause of production shortfalls and recommends solutions
- Reviews, recommends and implements new or enhanced testing equipment or protocols
- Evaluates and administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- May represent the site on company-sponsored steering teams
- Performs other duties as required
This position requires air travel. In accordance with Freeport-McMoRan’s requirement for all employees whose job requires travel by air, if you are hired you will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to travel by air, unless the company has granted a medical or religious accommodation.
- Bachelor's degree in Metallurgy, Chemistry or related Engineering discipline and seven (7) years of experience in Metallurgy or closely related Scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience, OR
- Master's degree in Metallurgy, Chemistry or related Engineering discipline and five (5) years of experience in Metallurgy or closely related Scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience
- Ability to mentor and lead others in company safety and environmental initiatives, culture and values. Drives action in existing programs and makes process changes with a safety & environmental focus
- Understands technical and operational aspects of the unit operations assigned
- Demonstrated ability to predict and make production forecasts for the assigned unit process
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in a clear and concise form
- Demonstrated ability to research, recognize and identify the interdependence of complex process variables within the scope to anticipate issues, draw valid conclusions and make recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to be lead and manage large projects, and provide timely and quality results
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate technical needs, drive and optimize complex metallurgical test work based on complex data analysis and make recommendations for process improvement changes
- Experience effectively leading or being involved in multi-disciplinary groups and demonstrate accountability of work to self and other team members
- Skill in supervising, evaluating, training and motivating employees
- Skill in preparing, defending, and monitoring budgets
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, mentor, engage, lead and empower internal or external resources to solve problems. Adapts management style
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safey-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose "motor vehicles" includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability