GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in 15 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Chief Manufacturing Engineer (CME) is responsible for the leading the development and maintenance of the manufacturing definition (system) and ME related activities within the Program through its lifecycle. The CME leads the multi-functional Manufacturing Engineering (ME) team that is deployed into the Program as the primary representative for (ME) at all program / technical reviews & externally (with customer & suppliers). Will ensure the manufacturing system meets stakeholder requirements including; technical compliance; adherence to Zero Defect Manufacturing (ZDM) standards and compliance business case (including quality; delivery and cost).
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering or 15+ years of relevant experience gained within an engineering discipline, ideally within an aerospace environment
• 8 years of relevant experience gained within an engineering discipline, ideally within an aerospace environment and in multi-disciplinary engineering project teams (Design/CM, EWIS, Analysis, M&P, Manufacturing/ Industrialization).
• 5 years of experience with managing (complex) engineering projects or having acted as engineering / functional team leader; has led teams (delivery through people without direct hierarchical authority).
• Must be able to perform work subject to ITAR/EAR regulations and/or program requirements.
• GKN experience
• Working knowledge of quality system models such as ISO9000, AS9100, or D1-9000
• Technical expertise in Manufacturing Engineering, with a professional qualification / background (university degree) in engineering (Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical)
• Experience of managing New Product / Process introduction (industrialisation) & existing production process improvements
• Ability to influence people, build trust and establish effective working relationships within a global organisation
• Working knowledge of LEAN processes and practices
• Experience in dealing with related functions (Operations/Production, Sales/Customer Relationship Management, Supplier Management and Development).
• Management of complex Projects; ability to rationalise, assess and evaluate information that may not always be clear or mature.
• Project management, planning and organising skills based on recognised project management methods.
• Strong business and commercial Savviness. Sees new Opportunities to win (new) Business and also to reduce or avoid costs.
• Solid approach/understanding to the delivery and tracking of engineering tasks.
• Able to define challenging objectives and achieve them.
• Relationship building at Levels up to and including senior management level.
• Able to work with cross-functional Teams that will typically include (in addition to the Design Engineering Team) Operations, Manufacturing Engineering, Commercial. Procurement, Quality and Suppliers.
• Has excellent judgement in considering when escalation is appropriate.
• Strong minded, convincing and committed, focussed on delivery, must be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
• Ability to clearly present data, reports and presentations to facilitate the decision making process at all levels of the business.
• Completed Project Management Training / Courses.
• Having worked in multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams in an international setting.
• Ability to mentor and coach Engineers in the Delivery of their specific Task and supporting their professional Growth.
Diversity Inclusion and Belonging (DIB)
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.