Position: Chief Estimator
Reports to: General Manager
Status: Regular Full Time Position – Exempt/Salary
Position Value Proposition
As a Chief Estimator you will oversee a department of estimating professionals that collaborate with GrayWolf professionals including sales, purchasing agents, architects & engineers to provide a cost effective estimating solution that fosters the purchase of GrayWolf design, fabrication and erection services
- Responsible for all work performed within the Estimating Department.
- Verifies that the work performed is accurate and complete.
- Responsible for assembling and calculating all labor costs and standards.
- Works with Sales and Executive Management to develop competitive job bids.
- Manages the performance of all subordinate Estimators.
- Prepare pricing estimates on new projects and estimate prices on change orders on existing contracts.
- Read and understand job bid instructions, detailed specifications, prepare a “take off” of materials included in the job, estimate all necessary labor, materials, buyout items, equipment costs (including crane costs) to prepare a through price estimate.
- Exercise good judgment and experience in working with purchasing, steel erection labor, equipment and transportation costs to arrive at full cost estimate with appropriate profit margins to achieve Company’s goals.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job responsibilities and functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform. Above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed, .Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced or delegated by management to meet the business needs of the company)
Required qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) to perform essential functions of this position
Core Competencies: (with descriptions from card sort) get this information form HR
- Customer Focus - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Decision Quality - Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Drive for Results - Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Functional/Technical Skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Priority Setting - Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge—like Internet technology; does well in technical courses and seminars.
- Time Management - Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Written Communications - Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
A minimum of ten (10) years related experience estimating and bidding on structural steel and heavy plate projects with 5 years as a Sr. Estimator. BS Degree from an accredited college or university in Construction Management, Civil/Structural Engineering or Architecture may substitute for additional years of experience.
HS Diploma or Equivalent. A bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, or Construction Management is highly preferred.
Specialized Knowledge – Certificates & Licenses
As outlined in the Core Competencies, an individual must have thorough knowledge and an advanced understanding of each competency outlined above in order to carry out the essential functions of this position. Specialized Knowledge is also required in the following areas: Knowledge of customary construction terminology and knowledge estimating software packages.
- Budget Planning/Forecasting
- Ability to read and interpret technical and legal documents.
- Familiarity of steel estimating systems
- Basic mathematics skills
- Attention to detail
- High level of accuracy
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skill
- Workforce Planning
- Continuous Improvement methodologies
- Effective Communication
- Conflict Resolution
Software & Technology
Position will require the frequent use of various office equipment personal computer, scanner, copier & fax. Extensive knowledge of MS Windows 10 and/or MS Windows 10, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook. Blue Beam PDF Software, SES (GrayWolfEstimating System) and AutoCAD.
Position requires as many hours needed to fulfill the daily and weekly obligations required to carry out the functions. Working long days including evenings and weekends can be required for this position. Work is generally performed in a climate controlled office area. Position requires ability to lift and carry shop drawings on occasion. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request for those who have disabilities that qualify under the American with Disabilities Act
GrayWolf is an Equal Opportunity Employer with and Affirmative Action Plan.
Employee is required to sign this document in the space provided below, acknowledging receipt, review and comprehension of this job description.