Job Location: AEROSPACE COATINGS INTERNATIONAL - OXFORD, AL
Salary Range: Undisclosed
Overview of the Position:
Applies knowledge of chemistry and scientific laboratory procedures and techniques in performing a broad range of duties related to the day-to-day operations of the laboratory which includes the preparation of samples, media, supplies, materials, and equipment; Prepares and assembles media and equipment used in chemistry experiments and demonstrations; operates and performs minor adjustments to scientific equipment; and orders, issues, receives, and stores laboratory materials and supplies. Maintains lab equipment and facilities; storekeeping functions; and proper and safe use of laboratory equipment and materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Issue and receive materials and equipment for use in laboratory.
- Maintain inventory of supplies, materials, and equipment, and order more as needed.
- Analyze organic/inorganic solutions to determine chemical and physical properties, composition, structure, relationships, and reactions, utilizing chromatography, spectroscopy, and spectrophotometry technique
- Compile and analyze test information to determine process or equipment operating efficiency and to diagnose malfunctions.
- Confer with other workers to conduct analyses, develop tests, or interpret test results.
- Prepare and dispense solutions, compounds and reagents and chemical materials used for procedures which may include reagents, chemicals, acids, bases, buffers, and stains.
- Ensure the proper storage of all solutions and chemicals used in laboratory exercises.
- Store supplies and equipment, dispose of solutions according to appropriate specifications, and keep storage/working areas orderly and clean.
- Assemble supplies and constructs apparatus; set up and conduct experiments and demonstrations.
- Operate, maintain, and make minor adjustments or repairs on laboratory equipment.
- Wash, sterilize, and dry laboratory glassware.
- May assist staff in writing specifications and designing an apparatus for specialized experiments/analysis.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Must speak, read, and write the English language.
- A Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related field is preferred. (Must have H. S. Diploma or GED.)
- Must have knowledge of principles of biochemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry
- Must have knowledge of Scientific laboratory procedures and techniques used in a chemistry laboratory
- Must have knowledge of Scientific laboratory equipment and apparatus
- Must have knowledge of Scientific methods of measurements
- Must have knowledge of Principles of Recordkeeping
- Must have knowledge of health and safety practices and precautions applicable to a chemical laboratory
- Must have knowledge of capabilities of computer systems, software, and hardware common to instructional laboratories
- Should have common computer software skills such as Microsoft Office
- Should have advanced mathematical skills (Concepts and calculations commonly used in the chemistry field).
- Must have attention to detail, great communication skills, and an analytical background
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; and lift up to 80 pounds.
- Is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Is frequently required to talk or listen.
- Works in moderate noise levels.
- Must use PPE.