VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) has a 90+ year history of technical innovations that have evolved to keep pace and address our customer’s most pressing business issues. We make equipment, software, and systems that help to plan, deploy, certify, monitor, and optimize all kinds of networks - like those for mobile phones, service providers, large businesses and data centers. VIAVI is also a leader in high performance thin film optical coatings and engineered diffusers, providing light management solutions to anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, automotive, defense and instrumentation markets.
We are the people behind the products that help keep the world connected – at home, school, work, at play, and everywhere in between. VIAVI employees are fierce about supporting customer success and we welcome people who bring their best every day to the company - to question, to collaborate and to push for solutions that will delight our customers.
Manufacturing Process Engineer (Chemical):
- Executes, maintains, and evolves advanced manufacturing methods utilizing knowledge of manufacturing processes, quality control, continuous improvement, data analysis, and systems engineering.
- This is a hands-on advanced engineering role responsible for multiple unit operations including but not limited to, chemical, thermal, and mechanical processes. Supports thin-film, high-vacuum processes, advanced materials, PVD, CVD, complex metrology, advanced data analysis, as well as environment, health, and safety systems.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manufacturing systems and tools
- Manages, evaluates, and improves manufacturing processes, utilizing knowledge of chemical processes, manufactured products, production equipment, production methods, and quality control systems
- Manufacturing process ownership
- Responsible for assigned manufacturing value stream processes including provision of manufacturing execution methods, tools, problem solving and continuous improvement activities
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Collaborates daily with members of manufacturing, engineering, and maintenance operations teams
- Continuous Improvement
- Drives cost, quality, productivity, and safety performance through application of continuous improvement tools and methodologies
- Failure Analysis and prevention
- Utilizes tools such as FMEA, PHA, DOE, 8D, root cause investigation, and corrective actions for resolution and prevention of failures using statistical methods
- Participates in MOC, Non-conforming material dispositions and corrective & preventative action activities
- New product and process introduction
- Establishes and enhances process capabilities for new and existing products and processes
- Supply chain quality management
- Collaborates with quality, procurement, and vendors to continuously improve supplier performance
- Real-time manufacturing floor support
- Responds to manufacturing floor process needs as required
- Includes occasional off-shift telephone and remote access support for 24x7 manufacturing operation
- Multiple project and dynamic priority management
- Effectively leads and manages multiple projects simultaneously
- Training and skill-set development
- Develops and implements process related training and development tools
- 4+ years engineering experience in a related field
- BS engineering degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Material Science, or similar field
- Background in chemical-based manufacturing engineering
- Industrial safety experience
- Fundamental understanding of thermodynamics and fluid flow
- Strong software competency including MS Office and advanced Excel skills to facilitate analyzing large amounts data
- Process documentation management experience
- Must be eligible for ITAR security clearance and access to ITAR areas
- Position requires that candidate reads and writes English
- Experience in scale-up of manufacturing processes to robust systematized production
- Experience with manufacturing quality systems: Lean, SPC, 6s, DFM, FMEA, 5S, 8D, QMS, NPI, HAZOP etc.
- Thermal process experience
- Micronization process experience
- ISO or AS9100 quality systems experience
- Experience improving manufacturing processes collaboratively with production staff and other departments
- Experience with design and development of hardware and/or software systems and tools
- MES experience
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, supported by a strong technical background
- Effectively manages competing priorities with a solutions-oriented, systemic approach
- Analytical, detail-oriented problem-solving skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Able to influence, build consensus and support collaboratively across multiple teams and levels
- Self-motivated and organized; able to work autonomously and effectively
- Excellent reporting and presentation skills
During the rapidly changing Covid situation, VIAVI continues to monitor the situation to keep our employees safe. We continue to adhere to CDC guidelines, strong safety protocols for sites performing essential duties, limiting travel to essential travel etc. We rely on strong benefits programs to provide our employees with support for both their medical and emotional wellness during this difficult time.
The VIAVI leadership team strongly encourages all employees, current and new, to get fully vaccinated and booster.
If you have what it takes to push boundaries and seize opportunities, apply to join our team today.
VIAVI Solutions is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.