Job Location: Sylacauga - Sylacauga, AL
Salary Range: Undisclosed
- As a Chemical Operator, you will be responsible for safely and efficiently assembling raw materials and processing products according to Hockings high-quality standards using automatic/manual machines, hand tools and equipment.
- This position is responsible for creating batches following a recipe on batch tickets, tracking raw material inventory while maintain a safe work environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow detailed written methods, instructions and formula for mixing, blending and compounding specific ingredients in precise amounts for the manufacture of consumer and industrial products.
- Distinguish between various raw materials by proper labels and physical properties during batching
- Understand the key process variables which impact product quality and consistency and understand how to control and troubleshoot them.
- Prepares and makes ready all materials for manufacturing. Monitors change of temperature, pressure, visual appearance, physical changes and other significant developments which serve as an indication of process progress.
- Fill out a batch sheet complete with all necessary data including but not limited to weight of each add, time of completion with date and testing results.
- Able to communicate any change or discrepancy to equipment or batches on time, clearly and effectively across the team
- Maintain clean work areas, cleans manufacturing and storage tanks, all lines and all other equipment, using steam and various cleaning agents as required.
- Operate Lift Truck to move/store raw materials.
- Perform minor maintenance tasks as required to keep processes operating
- Understand and follow OSHA, EPA, ADEM and other regulations.
- Experienced forklift operator
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in math, reading comprehension, and mechanical reasoning with strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Able to become respirator fit tested for safe operations
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- HS Diploma or GED desired Â
- 2+ experience handling chemicals or other hazardous materials preferred.
- Any appropriate combination or education and experience.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to touch, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands, and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Employees must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to wear the correct PPE: safety goggles or glasses, safety shoes, gloves and etc.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee works in a lab and a manufacturing environment and may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration.