Job ID: 400823
Tilcon Connecticut Inc., a CRH company, has played a vital role in building infrastructure around our state, serving the market from 23 locations throughout Connecticut. As a leading supplier of quality crushed stone, hot mix asphalt, and ready mix concrete, Tilcon Connecticut has supported the construction of superior roads, buildings and bridges. The most respected name in the construction industry, from the quarry to the road, Tilcon Connecticut does it all!
Are you looking for opportunities and benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel? Then Tilcon Connecticut Inc. and CRH is the company for you! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today!
The primary responsibility of the customer service dispatcher is to provide “on time” service to the customer and to control the flow of equipment and employees at their respective plants and efficiently manage those assets. This requires taking responsibility for driver activity and equipment utilization from the start of the day up to when the driver has been either released for non-delivery assignments or released to go home. It is also the dispatcher’s duty to process ticket loads in a timely manner and then closely monitor and track trucks from the start of the order until it is completed while continually making sound decisions that will maintain service levels to all customers. The dispatcher must also be proactive and communicate effectively with co-workers and customers.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Responsible for daily reporting, invoice registers and daily coordination with sales for review and approval
- Ensure drivers are present and ready to load and then process tickets in accordance with loading sequence and company/plant procedures
- Provide world class customer service to our external customers as well as our network of satellite plants
- Support our Inside Sales group as needed
- Dispatch must be aware of and clearly communicate special jobsite conditions that require specific trucks, spacing, specific requirements, etc.
- Coordinate with scale operators to ensure COD orders collected and verified for accuracy for every delivery
- Must be familiar with the delivery area and must be able to assist lost drivers in finding jobsites, determine travel times to jobs, assist with truck breakdowns by entering key flagging info into our computer systems
- Assist with accident/incidents, plant and/or computer breakdowns, by working with trucking supervisor, dispatch, safety and other departments and communicating impacts to orders or service internally and to customers
- Responsible for providing continual driver and route statuses using a variety of modes of communication and technology to mitigate and remedy rejected/lost loads
- Monitor scheduling screens as demands warrant to ensure efficient ordering as well as truck movement between plants
- Dispatcher must be customer service minded and, be able to keep a level head under fast-paced conditions.
- Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment. Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to customers, drivers, hired haulers, co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Perform opening and closing procedures.
- Reliable attendance is essential to performance in this role.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum high school/general education degree (GED) required.
- Previous related experience in logistical or communication training.
- Experience in transportation industry or building material industry preferred.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with customers as well as truck drivers to dispatch orders in a timely and efficient manner.
- Must provide excellent customer service by phone; scheduling and organizing large numbers of people and equipment efficiently and quickly.
- Handle multiple tasks concurrently and perform under pressure while remaining composed.
- Must be able to analyze issues, act quickly and creatively to solve problems; work independently and consistently make good decisions.
- Utilize GPS tracking software and enter orders into dispatch scheduling software; ability to quickly learn different software programs.
- Perform preventative maintenance to plant equipment.
- Strictly adhere to safety requirements, policies, and procedures as outlined in the employee policy manual.
- Report to work at the designated start time.
- Work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors/managers with other duties as required.
- Available to work overtime, nights and weekends when necessary.
- Reliable attendance is essential in performance of the role.
- Travel and work away from home when necessary.
- Knowledge of construction or building material products; weights and measures laws and regulations; trucks and transportation requirements and regulations; local area and distances for pricing and delivery.
- Thorough and detail oriented
- Must be able to multi-task with excellent organizational and planning skills
- Must be willing to work additional hours as needed
- Must possess excellent communication skills both verbal and in writing.
- Read and understand maps.
- Proficient computer skills with knowledge of current operating systems and Microsoft Office suite.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Extensive radio and phone conversation.
- Bend: flexion of the upper trunk forward while standing and knees extended or knees flexed when sitting.
- Reach: extend the hands and arms in any direction.
- Noise: sufficient noise, either constant or intermittent, to cause marked distraction.
What CRH Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
CRH has a long and proud heritage. We are a collection of hundreds of family businesses, regional companies and large enterprises that together form the CRH family. CRH operates in a decentralized, diversified structure that allows you to work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of large international organization.
If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our official employment application. Please complete your online profile and it will be sent to the hiring manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest!
Tilcon Connecticut Inc., a CRH Company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.