WHO are we looking for?
Saft is looking for a full-time R&D Cell Test Engineer.
The position will be responsible for testing of new Lithium Ion products as part of the cell development team. This role will also support test needs of other programs and departments. The majority of tests will be electrical testing. The person in this role will have a key role in the development of test protocols, some which are highly-complex in nature. Organizing, resource planning, and tracking results for presenting are valued skills in this role.
What will you DO?
- Write testing programs of varying complexity, for a variety of electrical testing equipment. Plan testing with lab staff in consideration of maximizing available chambers and resources.
- Create data analysis programs, graphics packages, and work with scientists to interpret results. Perform post-test quality control on the data to ensure no anomalies have affected the results. Report analysis results in a professional manner.
- Cell Testing shall include any and all identified systems, test equipment, and test types. Test anomalies shall be handled timely, appropriately and analytically.
- Define and support Cell Test improvement initiatives. Troubleshoot Test Equipment. Generate and/or support generation of test harnesses, test boxes, associated test systems, and automation techniques. Recommend alternate testing methodologies or improved results likelihood.
- Support the Department Manager by tracking day to day needs of a Cell Program, monitoring test status, ensuring accurate results, presenting data, receiving / inventorying cells, and scheduling testing.
- Build Test setups including digital IO, Power supplies, Relays, Loggers, pneumatics, controllers
- Procurement of supplies and research into relevant technology to develop and enhance capabilities
- Calibration of Test equipment
- Perform Cycle Life, Storage Life, Aging Characterization, Impedance mapping, Cold and Hot performance testing on variety of cell designs ranging from mAh cells to > 100Ah cells or modules.
- Abuse Testing including UN testing
What experience do you NEED?
- A Bachelor of Science is required. This can be in either Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Software) or in Physics / Math.
- A minimum of three years of experience in test engineering or related field.
- Candidates must have experience with programming, electrical assembly, troubleshooting electrical equipment and some project planning / organization.
- You should have familiarity with a variety of electrical testing concepts, practices, and procedures.
What experience would be HELPFUL to have?
- Programming experience in any of the following battery testing equipment
- Creating concise and clear communication through presentations.
- Diadem and Signal Express as well as any NI setups
- Fabrication of Jigs and Fixtures for specialty testing
- Previous battery or cell test experience with lithium ion
What TECHNOLOGY should you have used?
- Candidates need to have advanced Excel skills (including macro writing) and some VBA programming skills. Other programming skills such as python may be supplemented.
- Prior experience using Microsoft Access and SQL databases would be very beneficial.
Let us tell you about this SPECIFIC position:
- This will be a salaried, full-time position in Cockeysville, Maryland.
- All applicants must be US citizens or green card holders.
What are the BENEFITS of joining our Saft family?
- We offer a full benefits package, including but not limited to yearly salary increases, an extremely attractive 401K match, up to $10,000 yearly in tuition reimbursement, plus gym member reimbursement program incentives, etc.
- Our site in Cockeysville is financially stable and has not any reductions in force since 1993. We have numerous employees that have accrued 15, 30, even 50 years of tenure!
- We value our community and participate in multiple charity events and fundraisers. A few examples include participating in the annual Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) walk in downtown Baltimore, bringing the Red Cross Bloodmobile onsite, and holding events throughout the year that raises funds to sponsor families in need around the holidays.
- Our Cockeysville work family also enjoy participating in numerous Saft-sponsored activities throughout the year, including family picnics, Orioles baseball games and crab feasts in the summer, chili cook-offs and tailgate parties in the fall, Christmas parties and charity events in the winter, and Diversity Days potlucks and interactive ‘Bring your Kids to Work’ days in the spring.
- Ultimately, you will be contributing to the design and development of the next generation of lithium-ion batteries for defense, space, and racing applications. Saft is headquartered in France, with 4,300 employees in 18 countries. Our manufacturing site here in Cockeysville houses the research and development for Saft America’s Space and Defense Divisions.