Are you looking for an opportunity with plenty of growth potential? Do you enjoy working in an exciting, fast-paced, collaborative environment? Are you interested in working with the world’s most innovative companies to create a more connected world?
Connecting Continents. Impacting Communities.
The backbone of the Internet is a series of high-tech subsea fiber optic cables deployed throughout the globe - SubCom has deployed over 50% of them. Our employees ensure data communications networks are engineered, manufactured, deployed, and maintained to the highest standards, enabling faster and more reliable connectivity to communities worldwide. Every member of the SubCom team plays a role in an end-to-end process that is critical to enterprises, governments, big cities, and rural towns.
We encourage, expect, and value creativity, thoughtful risk taking, openness to change, and diverse perspectives. Whether you’re a seasoned applicant seeking a new and exciting challenge, or you’re new to the workforce and looking for a flexible, rewarding, and fast-paced position with an innovative and stable organization (since 1953), SubCom has opportunities to advance your career.
Supports a technical organization responsible for a specific phase or process in the delivery of submarine system Terminal Equipment for multiple sites and/or projects. Responsible and accountable for project/expense budgets, compliance to schedules, meeting technical requirements and adherence to quality and safety standards. Functions independently with minimal guidance in performing complex technical work.
- This position will have direct responsibility for performing the engineering and or on-site installation supervision of telecommunications equipment and related telecom infrastructure at one or more sites anywhere in the world.
- The Cable Station Engineer will conduct site surveys; prepare detailed equipment layouts for the placement of telecom equipment using AutoCAD; developing running lists (Power, Signal, Alarm, and Optical); AC & DC power requirements; design and layout of central office infrastructure including superstructure, cable racking, fiber optic ducting, conduit, and cables.
- A thorough understanding and knowledge of all the equipment being deployed in a cable station (i.e. central office). This knowledge will be gained from applying knowledge based on experience as well as on the job training at SubCom.
- Interfacing with other departments within SubCom both in and out of the office. The Cable Station Engineer will frequently interface with co-workers within the same department and outside of the department, such as purchasing, project management, supplier management, accounting, warehousing, and shipping.
- Writing of status reports, technical statements of work in conjunction with requesting quotations from potential installation sub-contractors, site survey reports, installation completion reports, and other reports as required. In addition, great use is made of email, as this is the best vehicle to use when overseas, due to the large time differences involved.
- Frequent customer interface on the installation site. This is a particularly important aspect of the job, as many times the Cable Station Engineer will be the only SubCom representative on the site in a foreign country. The Cable Station Engineer will need to favorably shape a customer’s opinion of SubCom as a company and a supplier. As such, the Cable Station Engineer must be very adept at personally interacting with our international customers in a very positive and non-confrontational manner.
- BS or BA degree and/or three years’ experience in related or relevant field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are a must, due to the high degree of customer interaction required.
- Ability to work under pressured deadlines while remaining positive and flexible. Must possess a positive, “can do” attitude.
- The ability to function autonomously and to make timely, effective decisions.
- Excellent organizational abilities with the ability to successfully multi-task.
- A high level of PC proficiency is also a key requirement. Must be able to effectively use the Microsoft Office software line, such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook.
- AutoCAD drafting experience is highly preferred.
- Experience in field implementation of undersea cable systems or central office engineering & installation is strongly desired.
- Other telecommunications experience either engineering or installing fiber optic multiplexers or cross connect systems would also be desirable.
- A degree in electrical, mechanical, or computer science engineering or some other technical discipline would be preferred.
- Existing or able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Candidates for positions with SubCom must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Employment eligibility verification will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Please be sure to attach a resume to your application. We are not able to consider applications without a resume.
SubCom offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to: competitive salaries, medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance coverages, FSA, HSA, generous vacation, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, and a 401(k) plan with generous company match. Additionally, some positions may be eligible for shift differential.
Affirmative Action / Equal Employer Opportunity
SubCom is committed to providing a work environment that prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristics protected by applicable law or regulation.
SubCom’s Core Values
Quality - Accountability - Teamwork - Innovation