The Buyer position is responsible for sourcing, estimating and purchasing from our vendor base. In addition this position will also be responsible for negotiating pricing and contracts with these vendors to assure we are also the most competitive in pricing and delivery time.
Who we are
At SMS group, our people are our greatest asset. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that promotes a culture of innovation, growth, and inclusion. We offer company events, activities, and opportunities to participate in charitable initiatives that benefit the communities where we are located.
- Review requirements coming from customer service, project management, purchasing to ensure the adequate sourcing support for upcoming projects and place purchase orders on a timely manner.
- Request and evaluate quotes to vendors to determine best options for sourcing.
- Look for cost saving opportunities within purchasing responsibility.
- Monitor and work with vendors to improve their on-time delivery performance.
- Read, understand and interpret engineering drawings and technical specifications.
- Work with our internal engineering groups to answer any related drawing questions from our vendors.
- Conduct vendor site visits from the commercial side as needed.
What you’ll need
- Four year degree in Purchasing/Supply Chain or 1 to 3 years of similar experience preferably in
metals industry buying.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work both independently and
within a group.
- Understanding and interpreting engineering drawings and technical specifications.
- Proven track record working and negotiating with various vendors.
- Proficiency of standard MS Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Word, Power Point etc.).
- SAP/ERP system proficiency a plus.
What we offer
Competitive compensation, medical/dental/vision coverage, paid vacation, paid holiday time, 401k with a company match, training, a tuition reimbursement program and more!
What we do
SMS group is the leading partner in the world of metals. We are an original equipment supplier offering comprehensive maintenance and spare part services for metals production, continuous casting and rolling (flat and long products), tubes, welded pipes, forging, non-ferrous technology, and heat treatment plants - all from a single source.
SMS group Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, gender identity or other categories protected by law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and physical capacity profile test.