*Remote and Hybrid Candidates will be considered for this position, preferred location close proximity to one of the following: Salt Lake City, UT; Phoenix, AZ: Tucson, AZ; LIttle Rock, AR; New Orleans, LA; Nashville, TN; Houston, TX; Dallas, TX; Austin, TX; Nashville, TN; Raleigh/Durham, NC, Birmingham, AL. *
Bernhard’s core mission is delivering innovative engineering, construction, and energy solutions that empower our clients and promote a sustainable future. Bernhard is comprised of four divisions: Mechanical, Electrical, Engineering, and Development, each with a distinct identity and service offerings. The intersection of our capabilities enables Bernhard to provide turnkey Energy-as-a-Service (“EaaS”) solutions to our clients. At the same time, our divisions continue working in the market sectors and communities that the Company has traditionally served. Bernhard’s vision is to be the leading EaaS provider in North America through the delivery of excellent, high-value service and innovative solutions for our clients.
Purpose and Essential Duties
The Business Development Specialist is a base-plus-commission role responsible for orchestrating sales from introduction to closing. This includes all aspects of business development and client management.
The Business Development Specialist is accountable to generate sales. This position is accountable to sales targets and eligible for sales commissions as milestones are met. Responsibilities include:
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with existing and new clients
- Research and gather information on clients, potential clients, project opportunities, utility programs, and targeted markets to obtain leads. Identify key potential client decision-makers
- Research financial, industry, and competitor trends. Build and maintain market strategies, including SWOT analysis, competitive analysis, and up-selling/cross-selling.
- Understands a customer's needs and goals, plans how to meet these needs. Develop and implement strategic plans to meet the client’s goals, ensuring the customer is aware of all service offerings.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Bernhard’s delivery team to ensure successful project delivery. Handoff projects to PM upon award. Participates in client kickoff meetings
- Manages directs, and/or executes all aspects of fee proposals, qualification packages, and RFP/RFQ responses. Participate in interviews and related sales activities.
- Gathers needed information from Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to support writing activities. Translates technical subject matter into easily understandable content.
- Track and maintain business development activities client contact database in Cosential/Unanet CRM. This includes client contact database, sales activities (calls/emails/meetings/other), lead tracking, opportunity tracking, sales forecasts, and proposal status tracking. This position is accountable to CRM activity targets.
- Follow established sales processes and take direction from senior leadership
- Participate in lunch or after-hours networking opportunities
- Prepare and deliver presentations at local/regional/national industry organization events such as ASHE, ASHRAE, AEE, IFMA, BOMA.
- Work closely with Business Development Associate and VP of Business Development
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Engineering, Finance, Sales, or related field.
- Verifiable experience in successfully establishing a client/customer base within the industry.
- 5+ years’ experience in the architectural, engineering, construction, or real estate industry
- 5+ years of demonstrated business development or client relationship experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Deep experience/understanding of HVAC mechanical systems and/or central chilled water/boiler plant operations. Ability to read/interpret mechanical blueprints is a plus. Knowledge of building construction, general contracting and facility/systems commissioning is a differentiator
- Deep experience/understanding of building automation and control systems. Ability to read/interpret controls diagrams and submittals is a plus. Knowledge of fault detection, analytics, and monitoring-based commissioning service offerings is a differentiator
- Deep experience/understanding of facilities maintenance and/or healthcare/higher education organizations
- Deep experience/understanding energy efficiency projects. Knowledge of retrocommissioning, utility programs, energy service contracts, and/or energy-as-a-service is a differentiator
- Existing relationships and connections with potential clients in healthcare/higher education or other industry partners that directly translate to sales leads.
Physical/Work Environment Requirements
- Shall require long periods of sitting or standing at a desk in front of a computer in the office environment.
Bernhard is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities, and participate in the e-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
To staffing/placement agencies: We are not responsible for any fee related to unsolicited resumes from 3rd party staffing and placement agencies (whether submitted through this website or sent directly to an employee of Bernhard LLC or its operating companies) unless a written agreement is in place between the agency and Bernhard, LLC (“Company”) and an authorized Company representative makes a written request to the agency to assist with a requisition. Similarly, no fee will be paid for candidates who apply and claim to be represented by an agency. Any unsolicited resumes, CVs, or other candidate information submitted by an agency will become the property of the Company, and no fee will be paid in the event such a candidate is hired.
If you are an agency and would like to be considered for partnership with Bernhard, LLC please send your company’s information to [email protected].