Business Development Manager
KBR is looking to hire a Business Development/Capture Manager to join our Defense Systems Engineering Group (SEG) located at the KBR offices in Huntsville, AL. The Defense Systems Engineering Group (SEG) provides full spectrum engineering and technical solutions across the life cycle of DoD military systems on land, at sea, in the air and in space.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include research, analysis and assessment of business opportunities, consistent with the organization's long range and strategic goals. Evaluates projects through financial feasibility studies, market research, and planning. May assist with, or lead special studies in areas such as operational effectiveness, capacity utilization, or cost containment. Responsible for keeping abreast of development plans of existing clients, and has a very good understanding of contract terms and provisions. Responsible for maintaining relationships with existing clients and developing new client contacts. Identifies market opportunities and works with the technical teams to grow profitable revenue for the company. Serves as a liaison with KBR counterparts on cross-business unit opportunities.
The Capture Manager combines a need for clear and compelling writing, strategic thinking, and project management skills. This is a key position responsible for fulfilling multiple roles in the opportunity lifecycle including capture management, proposal management, volume lead, and writer. We are looking for an integral team player who works collaboratively with others, and who can also work independently, coordinate projects, develop and learn new skills, and maintain communication with various stakeholders while working on multiple simultaneous projects. The primary responsibilities encompass pursuit management activities, marketing material development and finalization, knowledge management, and research and analysis.
- Collaboratively develop win, pricing, and proposal strategies as a member of a pursuit team.
- Assess client’s issues, requirements, and corporate competitive position. Develop value propositions, discriminators, and solutions.
- Plan, document, and manage pursuit efforts including identification of resources needed and briefing leadership in the milestone review process.
- Interact with clients, analyze information, and formally document outcomes.
- Write, edit, and produce content that showcases KBR capabilities, expertise, and successes. Writing assignments may include white papers, management plans, technical content, past performance and corporate experience, executive summaries, staffing plans, resumes, and other sales documents for existing or new business pursuits.
- Create strategies to gather and develop content, such as project plans, storyboards, and outlines, to include identification of information sources.
- Conduct interviews and work with stakeholders (e.g., Subject Matter Experts) to develop and write clear, concise, and compliant content.
- Participate as proposal team member to include management roles.
- Analyze client documents, such as Requests for Proposal (RFP), to determine response requirements. Establish response outlines and schedules for full compliance with directions.
- Manage and/or facilitate color reviews (e.g., Blue, Pink, Red, Gold Teams) to review content.
- Compile elements in the development of proposals in accordance with RFP specifications, coordinate the collection and accumulation of cost, scheduling, and performance elements from functional departments.
- Lead and participate in fact-finding meetings, such as discussions with clients and customers; analyze the information and report findings verbally and in writing to leadership and pursuit team(s).
- Support the development and maintenance for a variety of business development initiatives, such as the Proposal Archive and Past Performance Database.
- Proof and edit text and graphics for compliance, content, and proper grammar.
- Research subjects and materials as needed to communicate accurately (e.g., to develop appropriate questions to conduct interviews).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in science, engineering, business or related field and a total of 18+ years of experience that include 12+ years of industry experience and 6+ years of experience in business development. Graduate degree is a plus.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and hold an Active Secret security clearance.
- Strong network of Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and Army Air and Missile Defense clients including missile, sensor, battle management, communication, and ground systems is required.
- Currently managing a large pipeline of MDA and Army opportunities including missile, sensor, battle management, communication, and ground systems is highly preferred.
- Proven winning track record is required.
- Strong work ethic with the willingness to work overtime including nights and weekends on short notice.
- Strong project management skills in team facilitation, as well as managing resources and schedules.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills including exceptional persuasive writing skills to craft a clear story.
- Strong repertoire of business development skills including capture management, proposal management and development, , and writing and editing in proposal style.
- Superior organization and follow-through skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and analytical ability.
- Excellent business acumen skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to changing priorities and assignments.
- Ability to lead and work together as a team, either in a support role or as a project leader.
- Ability to translate objectives into a schedule and series of activities to meet the requirements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required, and familiarity with SharePoint and Adobe Creative Suite is preferred.
- Frequent travel may be required. Potential for partial remote work exists.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
In compliance with the U.S. federal government’s vaccine mandate, only candidates who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have a reasonable accommodation or approved medical exception will be considered for this position.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.