Who We Are:
Brock Grain Systems is a division of CTB, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway Company. CTB’s core purpose is Helping to Feed a Hungry World® through a number of business units that manufacture and supply systems and solutions primarily for the agricultural supply chain. Brock is achieving this goal by providing Leadership Through Innovation® with grain storage, handling, conditioning and drying, and structural systems. Founded in 1957, Brock has a long tradition of developing industry-leading, innovative products and a reputation for delivering Brock Solid® reliability and durability. In order to continue this tradition, we need talented people looking to grow their careers while working toward our global mission. We hope you will join us in this journey!
What You’ll Do:
As the Structural Design Engineer, you will design agricultural grain storage, handling, conditioning, or equipment with a focus on large structures multiple stories tall, with walkways, electrical/ mechanical systems, and a desire to tackle complex multi-story tall products.
Your Accountabilities in the Role:
- Utilize FMEA structural evaluations to identify loading requirements.
- Employ a gated design process while keeping a master project list to communicate progress.
- Create and develop new structural designs that will meet or exceed customer and regulatory needs.
- Coordinate and support prototype construction and validate the product to ensure it meets design and cost specifications.
- Manage and support prototype field testing, monitor progress, and develop enhancements where needed for a release of drawings to production.
- Communicate with the internal manufacturing, supply, and sales teams.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Experience: 5+ years of structural engineering experience within Agricultural or Mechanical industries
- Certification(s): PE preferred or willing to acquire PE in the future
- Functional Skills: Proven ability and success in structural design and development of machinery and/or processing equipment with height features is required, prior success in balancing project risk and cost so that the end product is affordable and profitable is also important. Solid understanding of structural analysis and structural steel design and OSHA regulatory compliance standards
- Technology Aptitude/Skills: Excellent Microsoft Office Skillset; Experience with AutoCAD or other 3D design software; Experience with 3D Structural Analysis Software
- Language Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills for presentations
- Leadership/Behaviors: Ability to engage with other team members, consultants, and others to meet agreed timelines, budgets, and guideposts; organized, good at setting reasonable yet aggressive project plans and timelines; willing to take a little risk to meet objectives; creative in thought processes; a desire to build a career by creating an impact in the role; self-directed with a high customer focus
- Culture Match Behaviors: Open communication; can initiate dialog to find solutions, team player, can respectfully share information to help develop and adhere to best practices
- Other Requirements: Ability to climb up to 150ft (with safety gear) on catwalks & Grain Bins for troubleshooting/problem-solving
Other Important Information:
Salary: Salary is commensurate with proven expertise.
Reports To: Director of Engineering
Core Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm
Typical Work Week: Monday-Friday; 45 hours a week on average
Direct Reports: None
Work Conditions: Primarily an office environment with visits to customer/job sites and manufacturing areas
Travel: Up to 25%