This position is located in Frankfort, Indiana.
Overall Purpose: Why the Job Exists & What You Will Do:
As a Production Planner and Buyer, you will plan and manage assigned materials. You will research, source and evaluate vendors which are aligned to the business goals. You will also manage the inventory levels and accuracy to ensure company goals and customer ordering timelines are met.
Essential Job Functions & Expected Outcomes: Your Accountabilities in the Role
- Purchasing: 30 % of the Job
- Researches, evaluates and selects appropriate vendors that support the purchasing initiatives for the area and leads the negotiation of supply agreements for approval, ensuring price point goals are met.
- Monitors and evaluates vendor performance and leads/assists in resolving quality, delivery, and billing issues timely and effectively.
- Communicates and collaborates with Department Manager, Department members, and Plant Management on a frequent basis to ensure vendor product is delivered as needed to meet customer orders.
- Actively collaborates with the Department Manager, Department members and Plant Management team(s) to proactively understand purchasing needs on common items or commodities to maximize purchasing leverage and ensure material availablity and budget goals are met.
- Maintains and updates all vendor records within the ERP systems to ensure vendor contact, pricing and costing information is up to date and accurately recorded.
- Provides regular updates to the Department Manager and Plant Management team(s) on major raw material trends and key material problems to ensure changes with material needs or schedules are identified timely.
- Assists with the inventory cycle count process, reconciling discrepancies of parts managed to ensure part counts are accurately updated.
- Actively supports Lean and Safety Initiatives through participation in training and related events to foster productivity and process improvement within the department or cross-functional areas.
- Materials Planning: 50 % of the Job
- Plans and issues work orders and/or purchase orders for product categories according to matrix of product responsibilities.
- Manages the inventory levels and monitors the inventory status for various product lines, performing analysis and initiating corrective actions to ensure accuracy.
- Collaborates with Department Manager, Plant Manager and Team Leaders to ensure effective execution of the production plan internally, while scheduling outsourced production as needed to meet deadlines.
- Performs ongoing analysis of seasonal shifts, market trends and demand patterns to ensure the proper strategies and methods are used for material forecasting, planning and production scheduling.
- Team Collaboration: 20 % of the Job
- Review, updates and enhances policies, practices, and procedures within the area of responsibility to ensure you are functioning at benchmark levels or above.
- Participate in daily team meeting to review current and forecasted production schedules, resources and material status to ensure optimal performance and product delivery goals are met.
The job criteria may include other duties, responsibilities and activities, which may change or be assigned at any item with or without notice.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, Purchasing, or related field preferred; or an equivalent combination of coursework and experience.
- Experience: 5+ years of experience within a Supply Chain or Purchasing role preferred.
- Certification(s): ISM and/or APICS certification a plus.
- Functional Skills: Strong ability to research, source and evaluate vendor options with a strength in negotiating vendor pricing, agreements and/or contracts. Excellent organization, prioritization and project management skills, with a great attention to detail. Highly analytical with the ability to gather information and make decisions timely and effectively.
- Technology Aptitude/Skills: Comfortable with PC/Microsoft Office products. Aptitude/ability to learn and work with MRP systems. JD Edwards and/or Oracle Cloud experience would be a plus
- Language Skills: Excellent verbal and written communications with an ability to communicate with all levels inside and outside of the organization is important for this role.
- Leadership/Behaviors: Self-motivated, can work independently to achieve the goals of the position. Collaborative with an excellent ability to build and maintain positive relationships within the company and with vendors is essential. Excellent negotiation skills and an ability to influence decisions.
- Culture Match Behaviors: Ability to work within a very collaborative team environment and have the natural ability to take a vision and turn it into a concept.
Core Values that Apply to All Positions:
- Integrity in all things
- Customers are why we exist
- Profitability is a must
- Excellence in all we do
- People make the difference
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Requirements to Perform Essential Functions:
- Ability to sit and operate a motor vehicle as needed for travel in this role.
- Ability to sit at desk for 5+ hours per day
- Ability to operate keyboard and view computer screen for majority of day 6-7 hours
- Ability to write ideas/information in a logical flow for 5+ hours per day
- Ability to read and respond on an on-going basis daily due to nature of the work, throughout the day
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Ability to communicate with others via phone, in-person, and computer on-going
- Ability to listen to customers, problem-solve, and respond accordingly
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, reach, kneel, squat, twist, push, pull, walk, stoop, crouch, and carry items frequently
- Lifting up to 15 lbs. sporadically
Environmental Conditions & Travel:
- The employee is primarily exposed to a normal office environment with moderate noise. The employee is occasionally required to wear suitable Personal Protective Equipment while visiting manufacturing departments or customer locations.
- This position may face inclement weather conditions when traveling.
- Travel: 0-5% travel is required