This position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the assigned Bridge Crew Boom Truck. When not actively driving or operating the truck, the operator participates in the hands-on construction and maintenance of bridges and structures composed of timber, steel and concrete. The operator carries out all responsibilities in accordance with G&W safety policies and applicable laws, working under direction of the Bridge Foreman or Supervisor.
The position involves 100% travel across the Genesee & Wyoming system in Continental US, typically working (8) 10 hour days followed by 6 days off. Travel to and from the job is on the off time. Overtime, while minimized, is expected. Lodging, Per diem and travel reimbursement are in accordance with current RES policy.
- Operate the assigned RES Bridge Crew Boom Truck in a safe an efficient manner whether manual or automatic transmission.
- Operate in accordance with all motor vehicle regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Fill out and maintain required regulatory forms via electronic means.
- Perform all daily operator preventative maintenance checks and services.
- Investigate and accurately report mechanical concerns so that the proper repair can be scheduled.
- Perform day-to-day hands-on activities of a bridge crew.
- Work at excess heights and in adverse weather conditions.
- Work with hand, gas, hydraulic, and other powered tools.
- Participate in job briefings and understand daily production goals.
- Promote a safe and drug free working environment.
- Complete other projects and duties as assigned.
- 100% travel required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Must have experience driving a CDL truck while pulling a heavy equipment trailer.
- Must have experience operating truck mounted boom or crane.
- 1-3 years of railroad or construction experience required.
- Ability to assess, troubleshoot and accurately report mechanical problems required.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written communication both general and technical is required.
- Experience operating Excavator and other heavy equipment preferred
- Ability to work at excess heights
- Ability to lift up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, bend and reach overhead.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Field position with extensive travel required, work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, and overtime.
- Motivation to build technical knowledge and skills; ability to demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles.
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities.
- Good attendance and punctuality.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid Class A CDL with air brake endorsement.
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.