Battery Project Engineer
Intertek is searching for a Battery Project Engineer to join our Transportation Technology team in our Plymouth, Michigan office. This is a fantastic opportunity to grow a versatile career in Battery Safety and Certification!
Our Value Proposition – We Offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life, and disability
- 401(k) with company match
- A team that values diversity and inclusion to drive a corporate culture
- Opportunities for growth through training and experience
- Employee referral bonuses
- Tuition reimbursement is available in an applicable field
What you’ll do:
- Conduct on and off site evaluation of products to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). To do this, Engineer must:
- Read and determine applicability of national codes and standards clauses for the EUT (equipment under test);
- Read and understand client-provided or otherwise published performance or product safety standards;
- Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions;
- Validate the project scope and sample applicability;
- Under scope of the project, identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing;
- Follow established test plan;
- Set up and operate EUT; perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed;
- Conduct thorough construction review, or sample inspection as needed; document results;
- Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests include, but are not limited to: Battery Cycling (Charge/Discharge), Vibration, Temperature/Humidity soak or cycle, durability cycling, Voltage and Current measurement, dielectric, pressure, abnormal and fault condition simulation, rain, dust, corrosion.
- Set up and operate standard test equipment including, but not limited to: Battery Cyclers, Temperature/Humidity Chambers; Vibration Test Controllers; Programmable Power Supplies; PLC or other controllers; pneumatic, hydraulic or electric actuators; AC/DC power supplies and loads; oscilloscope; multi-meter; dielectric strength tester; ground continuity tester; digital multi-meter; surge generator; over-voltage tester; environmental condition chamber; and articulated probes. Use hand tools to build/calibrate test fixtures.
- Follow sample handling procedures, ensure that sample is logged into and out of the system. Move equipment as needed through the facility. Properly package sample for shipment.
- Compile test results during construction review and testing. Compile data and product description and type final report using established report templates. Submit report to reviewer for final approval.
- Communicate project status and test results to client, sales personnel, and management throughout testing. Provide on-going support to clients as needed.
- Within policy guidelines, identify, properly document, and recommend engineering judgments.
- Perform other work as required
What it takes to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering and 2+ years of related experience; Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with Automotive (SAE, OEM specific), or International (ANSI, MIL, IEC, ISO) performance and environmental simulation test standards, and/or U.S., Canadian, and other International product safety standards, i.e., ANSI, CSA, UL, EN, IEC preferred
- Knowledge of Cells, Batteries, and Electrical Energy Storage Systems is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Prior project management experience is a plus
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to make technical decisions and engineering judgments independently within established parameters
- Microsoft Office expertise
- Ability to travel as business needs dictate
Why work at Intertek?
Intertek is a world leader in the $250 billion Quality Assurance market, with a proven, high-quality business model and a global network of customer-focused operations and highly engaged subject matter experts. At Intertek, we exercise our spirit of innovation, the passion of our people and our unmatched customer commitment to realize our purpose of making the world an ever better, safer, and more sustainable place for all. Learn more about Our History and What We Do.
Intertek is committed to a safe work environment for our employees and clients. Learn more about our COVID-19 Policy.
What we have to offer:
When Working with Intertek, you can expect salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
Intertek believes that Our People are our strongest tool for success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, or who need assistance applying, please email [email protected] or call 1-877-694-8543 (option #5) to speak with a member of the HR Department.