As a Battery Energy Storage Application Engineer/Consultant Subject Matter Expert with Leidos Engineering, you will be responsible for the technical and commercial aspects of utility-scale and commercial & industrial (C&I) battery energy storage systems (“BESS”), client development, and BESS technology reviews. You will collaborate in a team setting to support project managers and provide subject matter expertise in BESS technology, design, project execution, operation, and associated market applications to support independent engineering and owner’s advisory services for clients. You will support the managing of projects, develop sales proposals, and perform technology reviews.
Location: Prefer Boston, MA or Denver, CO, however, remote work will also be considered.
In this role, you can expect to grow by:
Increasing your already robust BESS industry knowledge by performing in-depth technical diligence on a variety of BESS integrators and technology suppliers
Gaining exposure to all facets of BESS project development, execution, commercial operation, and financing
Collaborating with teams of other SME’s and exchanging knowledge on a variety of topics including renewable and thermal generation technologies, electrical and civil engineering, market projections, environmental assessments and permitting, and construction monitoring
Engaging directly with clients including developers, independent power producers, lenders, and suppliers to assess and clearly articulate BESS technology and potential project risks
Joining a team with small company culture that is an integral part of a large, established firm with an excellent track record and reputation
Playing a pivotal role in expanding and growing the BESS consulting business within Leidos
If you like a challenge, seek opportunities to grow and learn, and want to be a critical part of a team that consists of industry’s finest consultants and thought leaders, keep reading!
• Undergraduate degree in engineering required, with MBA and/or advanced degree in engineering, finance, business, or related management area preferred.
• A minimum of 8+ years of experience related to battery energy storage with at least 3+ years as an application engineer for BESS. Experience with lithium-ion, flow batteries, and knowledge of new battery technology is preferred.
• Commercial or project experience with construction and O&M contracts and contractors for utility-scale and C&I battery storage projects.
• Understanding of battery and BESS market trends in technology, capital and operating costs, major suppliers, and market applications.
• Deep understanding of major components of BESS including battery cells, battery modules, battery racks, battery management systems, power conversion systems, thermal management concepts and designs, BESS safety features, industry certifications, energy management and control systems, and system integration considerations.
• An understanding of and familiarity with BESS performance requirements and guarantees including energy augmentation concepts required for supporting energy degradation guarantees.
• First principles understanding in battery degradation, and project-level useful life.
• Expertise in BESS performance modeling concepts.
Note: This role may require as much as 10% travel, including international travel, and can periodically include weeks with extended work hours to support client(s) needs (can be typically 50-hour weeks).
At Leidos, we take care of our employees. We seek the best and the brightest, and in return, we invest in you, with an eye on your future, through career advancement, growth opportunities and continuous improvement via mentoring, formal and informal project management training and assistance with obtaining pertinent certifications. We challenge you to help solve some of the world’s toughest problems and reward you with a welcoming culture that recognizes the importance of a strong work/life balance, as well as competitive compensation and benefits. We believe that diversity and inclusion make us all better and offer the chance to have fun and make a difference.