Saft Batteries – Research Scientist
WHO are we looking for?
Saft America is looking for a full-time Research Scientist. In this position, you will contribute to the design and development of the next generation of lithium-ion batteries for Defense, Space, and Racing applications. Saft is HQ’ed in France, with 4,300 employees in 18 countries. Our manufacturing site in Cockeysville houses the research and development of Saft America’s Space and Defense Divisions.
What will you DO?
- Design Lithium ion cells and components in order to meet customer performance requirements, industry standards and specifications.
- Provide input to cell design from start to finish -- including working with process teams to scale-up new designs and formulations into production.
- Work closely with the Research and Development Manager to generate new product development strategies and designs. Work with government and commercial partners to obtain external funding via proposals and govt initiatives.
- Perform analyses using engineering software tools in order to assure adequate design.
- Prepare and present technical information in order to present designs to customers / suppliers and to document the design process.
- Work closely with battery design engineers to assist in problem solving of battery performance issues.
- Collect interface data & conduct field surveys on equipment for target product application and design electrochemical, mechanical and structural modifications as necessary to optimize designs.
- Prepare and develop test procedures and implementation of tests plans, with the evaluation of data. Establish procedures and root cause analysis to support marketing and production with corrective actions.
What experience is REQUIRED?
- A PhD or master’s degree in Chemical Engineering or Materials Science.
- Product design & development in lithium ion, battery designs.
- Minimum of 5 years in the battery industry with project leadership experience and exposure to development, production and process environments.
- Experience providing technical support for existing products.
- Demonstrated ability to present highly technical information to both scientists and management.
- Basic understanding of the business and financial relationship associated with product design & development. Ability to identify and respond to external funding opportunities (proposal preparation).
- A creative personality with the ability to think outside the box.
What is the STATUS of the role?
- This will be a salaried, full-time position in Cockeysville, Maryland.
- All applicants must be US citizens or green card holders.
What are the BENEFITS of joining our Saft family?
- We offer a full benefits package, including but not limited to yearly salary increases, an extremely attractive 401K match, up to $10,000 yearly in tuition reimbursement, health program incentives, etc.
- Our site in Cockeysville is financially stable and has not any reductions in force since 1993. We have many employees that have accrued 15, 30, even 50 years of tenure!
- We value our community and participate in multiple charity events and fundraisers. A few examples include participating in the annual Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) walk in downtown Baltimore, bringing the Red Cross Bloodmobile onsite, and holding events throughout the year that raises funds to sponsor families in need around the holidays.
- Our Cockeysville work family also enjoy participating in numerous Saft-sponsored activities throughout the year, including family picnics, Orioles baseball games and crab feasts in the summer, chili cook-offs and tailgate parties in the fall, Christmas parties and charity events in the winter, and Diversity Days potlucks and interactive ‘Bring your Kids to Work’ days in the spring.