Job Duties & Accountabilities
Typical Duties of a Barn Technician include:
- Collect semen from boars for production of artificial insemination (AI) doses.
- Draw blood samples from boars for diagnostic testing
- Provide daily boar care, including feeding, checking water drinkers, treating sick animals and adjusting ventilation.
- Responsible for boar movements including cull boar and mortality removal, incoming boar placements and other movements within the barns.
- Train incoming boars on collection practices with an AI dummy.
- Clean barns/work areas as needed, including disinfecting all collection areas
- Responsible for external facility maintenance, including mowing, changing filters and turning compost as needed.
- Ensure implementation of best management practices consistent with commonly accepted standards for animal welfare including adherence to biosecurity practices
- Ensure that care for the boars is conducted in a manner that safeguards the environment, protects worker safety, and maintains regulatory compliance.
High School diploma or GED strongly preferred
One year of experience with livestock preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1) Knowledge of:
- Agriculture industry preferred
- Biosecurity and quality control standards
- Proper pig terminology and livestock handling
2) Skill in:
- Listening and learning
3) Ability to:
- Work some weekends and occasional holidays per the work schedule
- Understand and follow all protocols, biosecurity and quality control standards
- Write clearly and legibly
- Grasp protocols/practices and use them effectively
- Work independently as well as being a team player
The Maschhoffs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers an exceptional benefits package!