Audio Visual Design Engineer - Birmingham, AL (AVE)
Audio Visual Design Engineer is member of the core team for each client and project. Participating in strategy, determining client and system requirements, you’ll provide direction and oversight through the project life cycle.
From sales concept to design development, construction drawings to implementation support.
As the technical authority, you’ll collaborate with support teams to bring your design to life. Through our grounding breaking workflow, you’ll have access to incredible technology and tools to help you articulate and deliver your design while being supported by global resources.
* Audio Visual / Broadcast solutions may include: Video Teleconferencing / Polycom Real Presence; Cisco TelePresence / Acano systems; Barco / Planar / Prysm / VuWall / CineMassive / Prysm / Cyviz displays; Dante; Evertz; VBrick; Cisco Unified Communications; Skype for Business / Microsoft Lync Video & IM; Audio DSP systems / QSYS / Biamp / ClearOne; Digital Signage Systems; Crestron / AMX / Utelogy Controls; Black Magic; Grass Valley; Patch Bays; Ross; Sony; Imagine; Utah Scientific; ST-2110 systems; broadcast decoders; Calrec; SSL; Yamaha; IPTV; Enterprise scale KVM; ClearCom; RTS; Riedel.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with clients and project team to develop budgets, timelines and managing expectations.
- Conceptualize system designs and determine system requirements
- Provide technical expertise and coordination information to support the architecture, installation and planning of audio, video and control solutions
- Develop the Bill of Materials (BOM) and supporting documentation
- Develop detailed PDF markups for CAD to translate into construction drawings.
- Generate functional system descriptions, complete block wiring diagrams, rack elevations, custom plates or cabling assemblies.
- Research, identify, and recommend technology options for clients and projects.
- Oversee and reconcile the complete construction drawing package, support documentation for installation and coordination with architect and other trades.
- Support projects and teams in build phase and complete the as-built drawings for service hand-over.
- Project lifecycle is important and learning the standards our clients are comfortable with is just as important as selling new technology and solutions where they fit. The position bears the responsibility to develop long lasting client partnerships & work with team members to maintain the account on all levels.
- Responsible for maintaining current, up to date information regarding developments in the Audio/Visual industry through on going reading of trade publications, attending industry trade shows, seminars and educational forums.
- Attend appropriate manufacturer trainings, lunch and learns and online education.
- The Design Engineer works with the Regional Engineering Manager, the Tech Ops Directors, Sales Support Group and Sales Leadership on resource assignment. This role is primarily billable in a post-sales capacity, though there are times when the DE will work on sales estimation and design efforts. A complete understanding of a wide range of AV system designs and deep product knowledge is required.
Decision Making Authority:
- As the final sign off on project bill of materials prior to purchasing, the Design Engineer is responsible for vetting products and making detailed equipment decisions. As the technical leader on a project, the Design Engineer has the authority to recommend direction on scope changes and programming and commissioning activities. The design engineer works with CAD to create a complete documentation package for projects.
Physical Working Environment:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that may be met by an employee. Work will normally be performed within normal office conditions and/or home office depending on location of DE. On rare occasions the employee may be exposed to construction site conditions. Employee will be responsible for their safety while on job sites and to comply with all safety regulations in place by the GC. Use of PPE is usually required on job sites. The employee can typically spend at least 50% of their time on their feet and be required to mobile around the construction site. The individual is regularly required to use keyboards, test equipment and controls required for SI installation projects. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth vision.
- Occasional travel by car and occasional airplane trips are required. Employee must possess a valid driver’s license in their state of residence. Employee will be required to use their own vehicle and will be reimbursed for mileage at the current corporate rate. Local travel to job sites (within a 2 hour driving distance each way) will make up 90% usually but remote travel can be up to 30% of the job at times. <10% remote travel is required on a regular basis.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and MS Office 365
- Certifications or training with at least one DSP platform (Biamp, QSC, Clearone, etc)
- Certifications or training with at least one control system (Crestron, Extron, AMX, etc)
- Other relevant certifications may be required or preferred based on the technology focus of the position.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Avixa CTS certification is required
- 3+ years experience in AV systems designing
- Avixa CTS-D preferred
- A clear understanding of project phases Program, Conceptualization, Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documentation, Construction and Commissioning.
- A thorough, demonstrable understanding of the construction process, installation and integration as well as architectural and construction drawings and specifications.
- Detailed oriented, independent, self-starter
- Exceptional time management skills with a track record for meeting deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to analyze complex issues and communicate concise succinct messages
- High level of problems solving and technical troubleshooting skills
To learn more about becoming part of the Diversified team, visit us at http://diversifiedus.com/about/careers/ or email us at [email protected] Diversified is an equal employment opportunity employer and all aspects of employment will be based on job requirements, individual qualifications, merit, performance and business needs. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We celebrate diversity and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply for available positions. Individuals needing assistance or an accommodation to complete an application due to a disability, may contact Human Resources at 800.811.2771. Apply Now