Associate Audio-Visual Systems Engineer - Kenilworth, NJ
The Associate Design Engineer (ADE) is an entry level member of the core team for each client and project. Participating in strategy, determining client and system requirements. Participate from sales concept to design development, construction drawings to implementation support. As part of a larger engineering team, you’ll collaborate with support teams to bring the design to life. Through our ground breaking workflow, you’ll have access to incredible technology and tools to help you articulate and deliver your design while being supported by global resources.
Audio Visual / Broadcast solutions may include: Video Teleconferencing / Polycom Real Presence; Cisco TelePresence / Acano systems; Barco / Planar / Prysm / VuWall / CineMassive / Prysm / Cyviz displays; Dante; Evertz; VBrick; Cisco Unified Communications; Skype for Business / Microsoft Lync Video & IM; Audio DSP systems / QSYS / Biamp / ClearOne; Digital Signage Systems; Crestron / AMX / Utelogy Controls; Black Magic; Grass Valley; Patch Bays; Ross; Sony; Imagine; Utah Scientific; ST-2110 systems; broadcast decoders; Calrec; SSL; Yamaha; IPTV; Enterprise scale KVM; ClearCom; RTS; Riedel.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate with project team to develop and/or track budgets, timelines and help manage expectations. • Conceptualize smaller scale system designs and determine system requirements
• Support architecture, installation and planning of audio, video and control solutions
• Support the development of the Bill of Materials (BOM) and supporting documentation
• Develop detailed PDF markups for CAD to translate into construction drawings.
• Generate functional system descriptions, complete block wiring diagrams, rack elevations, custom plates or cabling assemblies.
• Reconcile the complete construction drawing package, support documentation for installation and coordination with architect and other trades.
• Support projects and teams in build phase and complete the as-built drawings for service hand-over.
• Develop vendor relationships & work with team members to solve technical problems
• Responsible for obtaining and maintaining current, up to date information regarding developments in the Audio/Visual industry through on going reading of trade publications, attending industry trade shows, seminars and educational forums.
• Attend appropriate manufacturer trainings, lunch and learns and online education.
The Design Engineer works with the Regional Engineering Manager, and the Tech Ops Directors, on resource assignment. This role is primarily billable in a post-sales capacity, though there are times when the DE will assist on sales estimation and design efforts. This position will work closely with other design engineers, the regional engineering manager and the tech ops directors to assist in the finished work product. This position is closely supervised.
Decision Making Authority:
As the final sign off on project bill of materials prior to purchasing, the Design Engineer is responsible for vetting products and making detailed equipment design decisions. As the technical leader on a project, the Design Engineer has the authority to recommend direction on scope changes and programming and commissioning activities. This position is assisting other design engineers in this activity.
Physical Working Environment: Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that may be met by an employee. Work will normally be performed within normal office conditions and/or home office depending on location of DE. On rare occasions the employee may be exposed to construction site conditions. Employee will be responsible for their safety while on job sites and to comply with all safety regulations in place by the GC. Use of PPE is usually required on job sites. The employee can typically spend at least 50% of their time on their feet and be required to mobile around the construction site. The individual is regularly required to use keyboards, test equipment and controls required for SI installation projects. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth vision.
Occasional travel by car and occasional airplane trips are required. Employee must possess a valid driver’s license in their state of residence. Employee will be required to use their own vehicle and will be reimbursed for mileage at the current corporate rate. Local travel to job sites (within a 2 hour driving distance each way) will make up 90% usually but remote travel can be up to 30% of the job at times. <10% remote travel is required on a regular basis.
• Associates/Bachelors degree required and/or equivalent experience. • Knowledge of AutoCAD and MS Office 365 is desired • Certifications or training with at least one DSP platform to be obtained during the training phase. (Biamp, QSC, Clearone, etc) • Certifications or training with at least one control system to be attained during the training phase. (Crestron, Extron, AMX, etc.) • Other relevant certifications may be required or preferred based on the technology focus of the position.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Avixa CTS certification is required within one year of employment
• No experience is required but related AV experience is strongly preferred
• A clear understanding of project phases Program, Conceptualization, Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documentation, Construction and Commissioning.
• An understanding of the construction process, installation and integration as well as architectural and construction drawings and specifications.
• Detailed oriented, independent, self-starter
• Exceptional time management skills with a track record for meeting deadlines
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to analyze complex issues and communicate concise succinct messages
• High level of problems solving and technical troubleshooting skills
But wait, there’s more! At Diversified, we offer our teams…
Diversified: Imagination Engineered
As an industry leading technology provider, Diversified proudly connects our dynamic global clientele with the technology solutions that keep them competitive in an evolving market. From boardrooms to classrooms, command centers to surgical suites, and stadiums to studios, we turn technology dreams into strategic realities every day. Our passionate team delivers the most innovative solutions, lives on the cutting edge of technology and is constantly growing to better serve our expanding customer-base around the world. Connect to your future at Diversified, where if you can dream it, you can do it!
To learn more about becoming part of the Diversified team, visit us at http://diversifiedus.com/about/careers/ or email us at [email protected] .
Diversified is an equal employment opportunity employer and all aspects of employment will be based on job requirements, individual qualifications, merit, performance and business needs. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We celebrate diversity and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply for available positions.