Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Research Associate II, with limited guidance from more experienced scientists, works individually or in collaboration with others on multiple projects which are moderate to complex in scope. The Senior Research Associate II plays an active role in planning of projects and experiments and is often the technical lead responsible for the successful execution of the project(s). This role is responsible for conducting benchwork experimentation, and the analysis and presentation of data. Working in a team setting, the Senior Research Associate II, will primarily be involved in Research and Development projects actively participating in translating research ideas and concepts into the product development pipeline towards development of diagnostic assay products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct bench level experiments within several product or technology areas and identifies problems and discrepancies.
- Independently plan and analyze results of bench level experiments within several product or technology areas; effectively present at data meetings, group meetings, and project team meetings.
- Operate scientific instrumentation related to performance of duties and notify appropriate personnel of any problems.
- Effectively utilize and apply methods or technologies and provides ideas for new techniques, when appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge of technological industry developments that could assist in completion of an assignment or aid in the development of new processes or procedures.
- Provide technical input and participate in decisions affecting project planning and experimental design.
- Prepare and provide information and data for scientific abstracts/conferences/project meetings/publication.
- Generate, document, and communicate development plans for critical aspects of a project.
- Participate in the development of research plans and experimental outlines to write experimental protocols and perform laboratory experiments.
- Prepare detailed technical procedures, protocols, and reports.
- Evaluate impact of nonconforming data to product or process.
- Maintain lab notebook in a complete and consistent manner, following all legal, ISO, and QSR requirements, as well as keeping clear and complete.
- Prepare reports and documentation providing the analysis or summarization of experimental results, outcomes and next steps to supervisor, technical teams/groups, or project teams.
- Present experimental results defend scientific ideas and findings at project or departmental meetings.
- Successful in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought and ability to defend scientific ideas.
- Work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Work on individual assignments and with project team members as appropriate to meet department and project objectives.
- Work within project timeframes that are established collaboratively by team members.
- Act as technical leader for a project of moderate scope.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement to interpret results, analyze data, and present findings in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- Assist in planning and recommendation of activities that account for prioritization of organizational and department goals.
- Ability to train and mentor junior level research associates.
- Ability to organize, present, and convey moderate problems or issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly with supervisor and group members.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively, and contribute within team, department, and cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail skills.
- Ability to effectively work on several varied projects at one time, with frequent changing priorities.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Successful technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Apply sound technical knowledge and ability gained through experience and/or learning.
- Apply previous experimental knowledge and outcomes to new and valuable problem; ability to make predictions based on a deep understanding of the fundamental nature of the inputs into a decision or action.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to lift to 20 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment including microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, pipettes for extended periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between Exact Sciences locations.
- Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Master’s degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemical/Physical/Biological Science or related field; or Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemical/Physical/Biological Science, or related field and 2 years of experience in lieu of a Master's degree.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in molecular biology and/or biochemical techniques.
- Basic understanding of GMP, ISO, and Quality Systems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply statistical and mathematical methods in biology/genetics/genomics; including statistical software, such as JMP.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.