About Our Company
At FuelCell Energy, we don’t just build products – we develop and deploy state-of-the-art solutions that enable a world empowered by clean energy. The diversity of our team, and our team members’ ideas drive the innovation that permeates everything we do, from our current suite of products and advanced technologies to the development of industry-leading, future-focused power generation solutions.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Process Engineer to join the multi-disciplinary Advanced Technology team responsible for designing advanced fuel cell-based systems for power generation, carbon recovery, hydrogen production, and energy storage applications.
The Process Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of process design with a focus on the development of gas compression and storage subsystems and specification of associated equipment. This position requires flexibility to work on multiple projects, covering a range of systems and technologies, in various stages of the design or validation process.
- Leads process development activities for concept, detail design and commissioning phases of projects with primary focus on compressed gas subsystems.
- Develops specifications for process equipment, including compressors, blowers, pressurized vessels and bulk gas storage for H2, CO2, O2 and gases.
- Manages technical discussions with equipment suppliers
- Trains and mentors less-experienced engineers.
- Develops Heat and Material Balances (H&MBs) using process simulation software tools.
- Creates and/or updates Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs).
- Develops control philosophy documents for test stand and prototype fuel cell systems.
- Designs and analyzes piping systems in accordance with process design requirements and industry standards.
- Specifies and selects process instrumentation, including valves and transmitters/sensors.
- Ensures that systems are developed in accordance with best safety practices. This includes participating in, and in some instances facilitating, Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP) reviews.
- Supports system fabrication, installation, testing and commissioning activities for both in-house and fielded systems.
- Develops test plans for bench-scale system tests.
- Prepares presentations and reports to communicate designs to key internal stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Domestic and occasional International travel required: up to 10%
Education: BS/MS/PhD in Chemical Engineering
Experience: Entry level
Required Experience and Characteristics:
- Experience with process design and equipment specification for bulk gas compression and storage systems (H2, CO2, O2 and others).
- Familiarity with vendors supplying compressed gas equipment
- Experience with the following process engineering disciplines: process simulations, equipment sizing, PFDs, P&IDs, process controls and control philosophy development, safety and risk analysis.
- Experience developing process plant cost estimates in accordance with AACE guidelines.
- Experience with chemical process simulation software (e.g. Aspen, CHEMCAD).
- Experience with troubleshooting mechanical and electrical components.
- Experience in an R&D environment is a plus.
- Experience with hydrogen storage materials is a plus.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to work effectively and openly with others, both internally and externally.
- Good presentation skills to effectively communicate ideas and scientific findings.
- Team player who works willingly with others and keeps a positive, goal-focused outlook when tackling challenging, time-sensitive engineering problems.
- Flexible and adaptable to rapidly shift gears into multi-disciplinary roles based on current project requirements.
- Experience leading R&D teams is a plus.
Working Environment/Working Conditions:
- Desk work using a computer, at home and office as needed.
- Must be able to work physically in the office environment, lab environment and in the field
- Walking/standing/working in an office, lab, fabrication area, or designated installation site environment
- Periodic work outdoors in a power plant environment during commissioning activities.
- Lifting up to 25 lbs., utilizing both hands simultaneously, utilizing hand tools, test equipment
- Be able and willing to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as designated such as safety glasses, safety shoes, hard hats, respirator, and other PPE as required.
- Travel: up to 10% domestic or international
- Have or be able to obtain a Passport
Equal Opportunity Employer - Vet/Disability
We offer a competitive compensation package as well as comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, company-paid life/disability insurance, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase plan and generous paid leave.
Employment with FCE is subject to pre-employment drug-screen and background investigation.
FuelCell Energy, Inc. is committed to ensuring that its application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all U.S. job seekers, including individuals with disabilities.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please send an email with your resume to [email protected] or contact us by calling 203-205-2070. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.
NOTE: This dedicated phone line and email address are designed exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages left for this purpose will be acknowledged. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
No agency submissions please. Resumes submitted to any FuelCell Energy employee without a current, signed and valid contract in place with the FuelCell Energy Recruiting team for this position will become the property of FuelCell Energy and no agency fees will be paid.