Associate Histotechnologist ($3,000 sign-on bonus!) - Monday-Friday, 7:00am - 3:30pm Shift
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Associate Histotechnologist will perform skilled and accurate cutting on patient specimens under the supervision of pathologists, interact with sending sites and ordering physicians, perform quality control and specimen-related checks, and comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain stringent standards for quality to identify any issues that might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety.
- Communicate issues to the appropriate management representatives to ensure prompt resolution, as needed.
- Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in histology; including, but not limited to, sectioning, and hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) staining under the supervision.
- Perform microdissection of samples under the supervision.
- Train on workflow queues.
- Prepare reagents, solutions, and controls.
- Perform and document equipment maintenance and calibration.
- Assist in sample returns, as needed.
- Interact with internal pathologists, internal associates, and external customers in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP’s) to ensure specimens are processed in a timely manner with high quality.
- Process specimens for research and development sponsored studies.
- Assist in the identification of opportunities for process improvements for histopathology.
- Assist in workflow, protocol, and related SOP development.
- Assist in equipment specification, installation, and maintenance.
- Provide summary reports on process metrics, as needed.
- Contribute to corporate strategy for additional regulatory approvals, to include the College of American Pathologists (CAP), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as it relates to histopathology.
- Assist in running projects for development of histopathology around new product services and processes.
- Participate in tactical development projects, as needed.
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Ability to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Apply strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Apply strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers, and customers.
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends, as needed.
- Ability to work overtime, as needed.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 75% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 75% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 25% of a typical working day.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment; including microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, and pipettes for extended periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements.
- Ability and means to travel between Redwood City locations.
- Associates Degree in Life Sciences, or field as outlined in the essential duties.
- 6+ months of experience in histology laboratory setting.
- Working knowledge of microtomy/cutting, embedding, and routine staining techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences, or field as outlined in the essential duties.
- 1+ years of experience in a high-throughput laboratory production environment using laboratory information management system (LIMS), enterprise resource planning (ERP), data management systems, or other workflow infrastructure.
- ASCP Board of Certification, to include Histotechnician (HT) American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), or Histotechnologist (HTL) ASCP.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.